Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

So?Anyone?

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Thanks for the update. I guess I won't try that then.

3. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Update:No, it's not fixed.Just tried.My PC hangs every time a full screen app is launched.Totally useless for me.

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Have you written to PF customer support about this issue? I'm sure they'd be interested and make an attempt to address it? Greg Salvato is nothing if not responsive.

You'd be doing them and this community a service by sharing the specific info with their team.

5. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Yes, I did.

6. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

When I close PC, Private Firewall it crashes. (I have: Laptop IBM, Win XP SP3, 512 Mb; security: Avast 6 free, Sandboxie, Router (firewall = WPA2-PSK)). What can I do? Recommended that another free firewall (not Comodo, PcTools)? Or, Windows Xp SP3 Firewall it is OK?

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

1- Did you have a different firewall before you installed PFW? If so, security apps are notorious for failing to uninstall completely. Any remaining part of that previous FW can cause PFW to be unstable.

++ To recheck the uninstall of that prior program, read THIS and THIS.

2- Also, you can try this (a) uninstall PFW, (b) reboot, (c) reinstall PFW.

3- If all else fails, give Kerio 2.1.5 a spin. It is a superb FW for WinXP.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  8. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

This is the main reason i ve dropped it along the loop-back non interception.
    And there was this question at the PC turn off ,that i never was able to answer :) Still wondering what was it about :)

9. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I experienced the same thing after the update which I did directly over the previous version. There were some other issues too such as excessive hard drive activity (probably a conflict with something), and I had to clear trusted sites before folder sharing (with neighboring desktop) began to work again. The only other real-time security apps I was running at the time were Zemana and KeyScrambler -- I think PFW started to block the former until I reset the policy. After several reboots (that crashed during shutdown), a bit of learning mode, and re-issuing a bunch of rules I had previously specified, I think it's okay now -- at least I'm not getting BSOD's with {FATAL ERROR} anymore when I restart or shutdown Windows (this was on XP/SP3 Pro). I'm not sure, but I think the profile setting (either Home, Office or Remote) may have switched during the update.

10. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

It is not my case! Hmm .... Kerio 2.1.5?

11. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

OK. Thanks for the reply. I'll check!

12. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

bellgamin, pajenn
    I reinstalled privatefirewall (on clean). Several days are not problems. But the PC is shutdown a little harder (unimportant). I found that when run browser in Sandboxie more time then happens (I realized that: the error is caused by the same reason - Sandboxie is set = "Automatically delete contents of sandbox"). Anyway, now works. Thanks for the advice!

bellgamin, Kerio 2.1.5 is not too old? Works well in today's terms?

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  13. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yes, it works up to Windows XP (32 bit) and if you have IPv4, not IPv6. And it works perfectly, from what I see on my system :thumb:

14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

update: My troubles with the newest version of PFW weren't (aren't?) over... I thought they were, but since my previous post I ended up experiencing some more crap, and then uninstalled/reinstalled PFW (although I exported/imported the settings). Things were smooth for a while after that, until they weren't... some more problems with folder sharing occurred and another BSOD caused by PFW -- I'm thinking of going back Online Armor...

to be fair, I've had this laptop for about four years now and it has taken a ton of abuse (along with lots of TLC and upgrades too), so I doubt any of these issues would be happening on a standard and/or fresh Windows OS... plus I keep changing IP settings between Automatic (at home) and Manual (at the office), and I use OpenVPN a lot, plus I was testing a script to deal with internet connection problems by connecting/disconnecting my LAN just a liittle prior to the last BSOD, so PFW probably got pushed to the limit...

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

After a BSOD, I think I would...... :)

16. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Again: "When I close PC, Private Firewall it crashes. ...". .... enough! By, BY Priwatefirewall!

17. Rules

Rules Registered Member

No problem here, using Private Firewall 7.0.24.4 on Windows 7 x64 and IPV6 enabled without any issue.

Rules

18. bellgamin

I would NOT. After recurrent BSODs with a stable app like PFW, I would take action to resolve my computer's apparent instability.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sure, you can spin it that way if you like..... ;)

20. bellgamin

My comment was based on actuality. I had used Outpost FW for a long while, then decided to replace it with PFW. Although I had uninstalled OP (using OP's uninstall program), PFW seemed very unstable. I researched with RegSeeker & Autoruns, & found several OP/Agnitum "left-overs." Deleting those left-overs fixed PFW's instability.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that's fine and understandable... It's also possible that there is some issue in PFW that exhibits itself on certain machines as well. The user is left to figure this out for him/herself as they see fit I guess.

In my own case, I use images and always start from a "clean slate" Windows base image. If I install a new firewall or other product, and I get a BSOD, that's it for me, because I know there are no remnants hanging around from other software.

Anyway, I have seen both situations, conflicts from other software remnants, and bugs in software on a clean system. Anything's possible...

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Does this firewall have any problems working with Punkbuster? :blink:

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Anyone figured out yet why so many people are getting BSOD from this firewall?

24. bellgamin

"So many" -- HOW many do you actually know of? :cautious:

25. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Does Private Firewall allow port blocking? I have looked through the options but can't see where to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.