Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Another question, is PFW noisy? :D

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not really. If you want to really tighten your control over your system, i would run it for a reasonable period of time and put up with some frequent alerts so that you can whitelist the normal apps. After that, i found PFW settles down silently enough in monitoring mode untill which time any unmonitored app attempts to launch itself openly whereby the alert gives you absolute CONTROL and confidence that each and every new file will be brought to your attention

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Decided to try it but I can't seem to block network connection for applications. First I set PrivateFirewall to red (block all), Waterfox can still access the internet :blink: , then I thought that maybe an allow rule has already been made so I set the rule for Waterfox to deny all connections in the application tab. I can still access the internet :doubt:
    EDIT: And no outgoing alert is issued to me. I disabled training mode and enabled alerts :blink:
    EDIT2: And firewall log is empty :doubt:
    EDIT3: I submitted a ticket at their support but it would be nice if anyone could help me :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey guys,

I am a new PFW user. I have read most of this thread and failed to see the obvious: what are the recommended PFW settings for full functionality?

Thanks in advance.

5. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

6. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Strange...

Have you tried to fully customize the internet settings (MAIN MENU --> INTERNET SECURITY --> CUSTOM)?

BTW, 7.0.26.3 version introduced a significant feature:

- Added ability to define fw rule order.

Maybe it has something to do with the rule order.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for. Good luck.

7. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Datarishik, thank you, THANK you, thank YOU. The link you provided was EXACTLY what I need/wanted to know. :D

8. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Just add me to the list of satisfied users.

It's now on two computers and so far so good.

Now I must learn my way through it.:)

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is really ramping up again. I was chomping at the bits to install a different firewall on another my several units that i use, trying all the time to hit the right chord with one setup combo i prefer over another, had to come right back to Privatefirewall again. I just can't seem to wander away from this puppy. For me the only other is ComodoFW-D+, and that only because i'm a starving Behavioral Block fanatic :p Just can't get enough of a good thing here, and PFW is a real good thing. LoL

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Easter!

When I look at your product list in your signature I wonder how anything can leave or arrive at you set up! :D Only kidding!

This Private FW thread seems long and deep to me, how much is the vendor still developing the product here and how much is new FW users learning via the thread?

Is Private FW the reincarnation of Kerio (my first love in FW's)

11. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Look here for the answer to your question. I think it will be pretty obvious once you do.

12. Escalader

Thanks I'll look at that! Still trying to stir Easter up:D

13. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

Glad to be of help. Take care. :)

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Simple answer. It's a mixed bag :cool:

At any one time i choose to remove & replace different security apps in an effort to determine which will prove the most effective combination!

For example, this week i've returned ThreatFire Behavioral Blocker to my active lineup, combined with, get this, EQS HIPS (Full App Control), PrivatefireWall (Process Detect HIGH!), and ShadowDefender, and am seriously contemplating adding in to all this Eset AV but without all the extras. My XP system is Zooming! along at breakneck speed and response now. As much as i felt protected with just Kaspersky Internet Security and Sandboxie, i couldn't get KIS to cover important registry items i deem crucial against attack. With EQS HIPS, I SET THE RULES and it now securely covers all the registry and a whole host of many other areas as expected.

Yeah, i'm beginning to get stirred up now :D

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Easter...have you tried these additional rules in the TF to protect the registry? I think all changes in registry can be detected...
    TF_registry protection rule.jpg

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Beautiful set of screenshots ichito and many thanks! Yes, in case i failed to mention, ThreatFire, at least in my General.Dat file certainly does cover tampering to the Windows registry. In KIS, there were some settings supposed to protect, but was shocked :eek: that i could manually add a new RUN string value wheras if i dared tried that with EQSysSecure it becomes IMMEDIATELY DENIED! which is the idea in the first place. The same applies to ThreatFire, attempting to add to the Run value and IMMEDIATELY that action is parallyzed with an ALERT! box & options.

I'm really glad to see that many of these type apps are still confidently relied on by some of us. They WORK! They INFORM! and they barely pull a whisper of resources which make for a far more comfortable computer experience coupled with superb security!

17. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Guys, would you mind opening a Threatfire thread (or posting to an existing one) so that we can keep this thread on target.

It gets confusing when we start discussing other security apps in a thread dedicated to one particular app.

Thanks.

18. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ Easter

Your computer just sent me a S.O.S and it reads: "Mayday, mayday, mayday, I'm being suffocated; thus, I need to breathe some fresh air." :D.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

When XP first came out i always it seems had a tendency to favor Kerio the really old version as firewall of choices then Privatefirewall.

As Privacyware Privatefirewall continues to "Update" and improve, in which case many of us hope continues strong and well beyond Windows 8, two things stand out for me, maybe you too.

It's HIPS-like Behavioral-based Live Monitoring and Defense
    which as it should, detects w/ or w/o Alerts, Blocks and Quarantines.

An exceptionally simple user interface with just enough practical configurations that PFW as both a firewall componant & Intrustion detector affords us a double combo of protection.

PFW IMO is much better to manage then if a user were confronted with a control panel chalked full of studio gauges, consuming infinite amounts of a time just to get working.

Whats your take on that?

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Sorry for OT.

21. Escalader

Easter:

I don't know if you are asking me for sure BUT if you are I'm all for simplicity these days.

If PFW is the grandson of kerio plus a HIPS that is not buggy and it's FW rules can be enhanced by me to include specific ip's for updating my applications then I will look at it.

I guess the original title of the thread including the word (again) gave me the impression the vendor was developing the product online here and updating to much.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just hope that they accept some useful suggestions here and continue to refine it even more. For the time i been using it lately non-stop, i grown dependent on it's process HIPS as well as the Firewall. The alerts are lightning quick which for me is a good indicator of some sharp programming thats gone into it.

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I installed the latest version for testing purposes. I have 3 days as "training mode" but it keeps popping up messages all the time asking me to allow or block. Is the "training mode" buggy?:thumbd:

Why does it keep saying "this process was not recorded during training mode..."? Because "TRAINING" is ticked and selected. Must be a glitch or bug in the program?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  24. Escalader

Gentlemen:

The "glitches" mentioned here like suffering memory loss about rules previously blest by us the users and hung systems are not the way to attract new users.

I will not mention other FW products in a PFW thread but threads exist here called learning threads where "glitches" like these were reported fixed, rediscovered in the next version and so on.

Why developers fail to learn from these public threads is completely beyond me. All they need to do is assign 3 or 4 guys to skim through the competitions support forums or our own learning threads, AND id ALL bugs. glitches made by others before them and of course their own. With those lists go into the back room work on their next version and don't come out till all these are proven to be fixed by the vendors user test team. If they have no such don't ask me to do it here. (nobody did that of course)

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

Forget the fancy dash board for a month and fix the %%$#@#@! engine.

My appologies to the innocent and the uninvolved.:cool:

I'm holding on with what I have for now as they have passed through all this before.

25. utonto

utonto Registered Member

Hello bellgamin and hello everyone, I just installed PF after ditching Comodo (which slowed down my PC considerably, especially at start-up).
    I have read (but not understood all of) the PF guide, and I have read (parts of) this topic - enough to realize I am not up to par with most of you and might possibly need help configuring my firewall. I am saying "possibly" because Comodo always took me quite some time configuring - I would follow the rules set forth in the Comodo forums to the letter, and these included everything form WinMediaPlayer to Skype and more (I am talking about specific ports to open for these executables). Now, I am not saying I did understand those rules, far from it, but what's a man got to do?! :rolleyes:

Now to my question: when you talk about "repeat this for ALL internet-facing processes" what would a smart PC user understand? iexplorer.exe? Check! But what about msseces.exe, for example. My guess it it does connect to the internet (to update virus definitions), so is this one of the "internet-facing processes" you mention? Does notepad.exe need to connect to the internet? No idea; I'd say no, but who am I to say that? How about "asusaudiocenter.exe" (I have a Xonar audio card)?
    I could go on all day.
    Again, I might as well be better off leaving the FW as is (default settings, I mean) but having used Comodo for ages has made me a bit paranoid when it comes to rules and settings...

Thanks and sorry for being such a noob (and a pain!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.