Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Host One, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Host One

Host One Registered Member

Is anyone familiar with SSH tunneling, I have an account with one company, and its incredibly fast...
    I thought tunnels were sloooow.

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

What company is that?

3. Host One

company called international alliance, great speed, surprising. I used to use the anonymizer tunnel package.

4. caspian

I looked at their site. What is the difference between a SSH Privacy Tunnel and a VPN? I am also wondering how you know if a service is actually encrypting your information and that they are truly offering secure DNS? I use a XerBank VPN. I feel confident about their services because Steve is a known privacy advocate and he is associated with some pretty hard core privacy and freedom of speech advocates. I am not a "computer geek, sorry to say, and so I would not have a clue how to verify any of these services.

5. Host One

vpn is good, the data is secured, but may not encrypted. VPN virtual private network your simply forming a network between you and the server. SSH encrypts all of the data using a program such as putty, and then transmitting the data. To test SSH you can simply test what is my ip, or other such sites. You can trust the data is encrypted due to the open source software. Many sites have software that can determine ips through weak proxies, they can test the tunnel also, bur your only ip will comeback as the server you tunneled to.

6. caspian

Well XeroBank VPN encrypts all of the outgoing traffic as well, so I guess it is using both technologies. The company that you mentioned looks similar. Are they new?

7. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

i wouldnt count on the fact that your reverse host resolves to your exit point ip. it might still be unsecure.

vpn simply forwards all your requests through a virtual network interface (TAP/PPTP) through either IPSEC/KAM et cetera. it's quite good.

ssh doesn't in it's own right tunnel all your network traffic unless you direct it to do so. it's primarely for command line access to a remote shell.
    can be used for X forwarding too, or sftp (scp)

ssh would be using RSA/DSA encryption. higher grade of encryption than IPSEC.

on the other side, vpn offers extra security in the form of RADIUS authentication, whereas SSH would for example use a KEX potentially running up to 2048 bit RSA

8. caspian

So SSH tunelling does not automatically cover your whole system, just what you tell it to? Can you use both at the same time?

9. Host One

you can tunnel to another server or to a secure host, or tunnel to a vpn, I use a secure host.

10. caspian

Okay but with XeroBank VPN everything that I send out is already encrypted. Would anything additional be necessary?

I did look at that sight and the price is great. I may get one just to have something else to use with a different IP.....or just something additional to have just for the heck of it. I might as well. I have been buying everything else here lately, hehe!:D

I have an IPhantom too. I have often wondered what happenes when I run a VPN and send it through that little box. It seems to work okay, just a little slow.

11. Host One

try the tunnel, very fast, very private, I can get you a short trial if your interested.

12. caspian

Yes please do. I would love that. Also I noticed that they only accept anonymous payments. Would that include a prepaid Visa? Or do you know?

13. Host One

sorry for the long time to reply, home ISP issues, I sent you the information via PM have a good day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.