Privacy no more. Open source software is publically available for free...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by overangry, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Researchers crack Windows code for online activity monitoring

The key to the technology, reports the New Scientist, comes from unlocking Microsoft’s encryption.

The majority of sensitive data on a hard drive, including browsing history, site logins and passwords, uses an algorithm to generate an encryption key based on the standard Windows login.

Last year, Bursztein and his colleagues discovered how this system works—making them the only team in the world, other than Microsoft, able to decrypt the files. Now the team have made their discovery public, with free access.

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/20...-unlocks-online-history/?mod=google_news_blog

http://news.techeye.net/security/researchers-crack-windows-code-for-online-activity-monitoring

EDIT: posted same link twice

2. x942

x942 Guest

So glad I use FDE :D I do hope MS pushes an update to fix this. Then again what data is encrypted like this anyways? Cookies aren't, web history isn't cache isn't. I can use all of that to get the same information. So what does this do exactly?

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Now that it's been made public I really hope they update...

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Another privacy issue on Windows, just great.

5. x942

x942 Guest

After reading more about this it seems like nothing new. Anything this opens up I can already get just from history, cache, cookies, etc. So really if you aren't wiping those files, you already had these issues. I can see everywhere you went and what you did. FDE is really the only way to remain secure in this day and age yet so many people think it is paranoia. Really it is necessary. If you don't use it I can just boot off a flash drive and dump everything.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

What is FDE? I'm not familiar with that. :oops:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Full drive encryption via TrueCrypt, BitLocker, etc.

This software doesn't seem to be available yet.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK. Thanks. :thumb: For a moment I got lost. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.