Privacy Expert 9.0 Build-1461 & Index.dat Files

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by MorJo15, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MorJo15

MorJo15 Registered Member

I have just found that this version (9.0 Build 1461) does not delete or clean Index.dat files from the "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" directories. I did this simple test. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, or if Acronis Support could comment.

1. From Safe Mode Command line delete the Index.dat file from "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" directory.
    2. Boot into windows.
    3. Confirmed that the Index.dat file is gone from "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" directory.
    4. Open Internet Explorer and goto home page www.yahoo.com
    5. Close Internet Explorer
    6. Verify that Index.dat is back into the "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" Directory
    7. Make a copy of this Index.dat file to the desktop
    8. Run Privacy Expert to clean everything.; Privacy Expert requests a reboot.
    9. Machine Reboots
    10. Goto "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" directory and verify that Index.dat is still there.
    11. Compare index.dat file in directory "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" to Index.dat file saved to desktop using Beyond Compare.

End result is that the files match. Using Index Dat Spy program to read the contence of this Index.dat file clearly shows that the file was not deleted or cleaned and that IE activity was still intact.

Looking for a solution / explanation to this one.

Jon

2. englishman

englishman Registered Member

3. MorJo15

MorJo15 Registered Member

Thanks for the info, but that thread was directed towards version 8.0. That is kinda my point, if this was an issue in version 8 why has it not been fixed in the version 9.0?

Jon

4. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

But that's typical with Acronis' products. They purposely fail to address known bugs, and finally solve them two or three versions later, by which time the owners of the buggy version no longer qualify for a free maintenance upgrade. I've said that in replies to other posts, and will continue to say it time and time again; and I invite all users to do the same. There is no oversight, Acronis didn't address this issue, the same as it didn't address many other issues, BY DESIGN. They're smart those Acro-bats, you know!

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.