Privacy Expert 8 & cookies

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by rklv, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rklv

rklv Registered Member

This was posted by another user in another thread. Since I have the same question / problem I decided to make it separate thread. Hope someone from Acronis reads this and has an answer.

Dick

"Just "upgraded" from 7.0 to 8.0, and it deleted all my saved cookies!

I notice that each time it is run, it defaults to deleted ALL cookies, then ask in a separate window which cookies to delete.... each time.

This was not the case with previous versions - I could keep "ad infinitum" "key" cookies used in my work. Also, the column sort feature is gone, there is no sort, and all the cookies listed are in no logical order.

What give? Am I confused?"

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dick,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Privacy Expert Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/privacyexpert/).

Could you please describe how you checked that all your cookies were deleted? Also please note that during the installation of the upgrade no files are deleted and cookies could be deleted only after you launchthe appropriate wizard.

As for the second question, could you please create a screenshot of the cookies list and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will try to find a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rklv

rklv Registered Member

This is the answer ---------

Hello Dick,

Thank you for purchasing Acronis Software!
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/

Please be aware that you can uncheck cookies you do not want to delete in Preview screen. This is the only way to keep your cookies. You can also type what cookies need to be removed in confuguration clean-up settings.

Thank you.
    --
    Best wishes,
    Dennis Kurochkin

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com
    Acronis Customer Service Department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

4. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

It appears this only works when manually selecting to run cookie cleaner and that when a scheduled task includes cleaning cookies there is no way to prevent ALL cookies from being deleted.

It would be good to have the capability to put cookies I want to always keep in a saved WHITE LIST mask, for example, save all cookies from site mybank.com.

Then, whenever a scheduled task includes cleaning cookies, the task would run and not delete cookies from my white listed sites.

(Suggestion: The place to add this capability might be in the window shown in attached jpg -> Include an option to Show Internet addresses for cookies that will NOT be cleaned according to entered mask).

Attached Files:

5. rklv

rklv Registered Member

Mark7,

You are right on the money. I don't knoiw why Acronis changed it in version 8. Until they revise this feature we will have to clean up our cookies manually or lose the cookies we need for our important web site i.e. banking.

We can only hope that the word gets to the top folks who can authorize this change.

Dick

6. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

I third that... a screen where you can 'tick' cookies to keep (as CCleaner has) would make this feature ten times more useful.

7. rklv

rklv Registered Member

Here's something else I've noticed -----

I have scheduled the Spyware removal module to run when I shut down. It also removes some cookies. The one that I see it removing consistanly is my cookie for buy.com.

Another wish --- let the user decide if cookies should be reomved when running Sypware removal in the automatic mode.

8. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I think you guys are missing the idea of Privacy Expert. I understand that you want to keep certain cookies, but the question is why? You should never keep cookies on your computer for banking information. If this cookie allows you to login without entering a password, then that is just stupid. You are opening a lot of opportunities for malicious people. All the websites that you go to can be seen in your cookies and they are easily retrieved from your computer from any website.

If you want to keep from having to enter passwords all the time, I suggest a program by Symantec, called Norton Password Manager. The program has a master password you enter when you start up and it will automatically enter passwords and addresses in online forms for you.

You should always delete all cookies...

9. rklv

rklv Registered Member

My bank cookie does not allow me to log in without my user name and password. If the cookie is deleted the site does not recognize me as a returning customer and I have to register again.
    The cookie is useless without the user name and password.

I use RoboForm to store my passwordsand these are password protected.

Dick

10. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Hi Dick,

Thats odd that you would have to register again. I would call the banks tech and see what a solution would be.

How do you like RoboForm? I never heard of it. The Symantec program works 95% of the time, sometimes it does not recognize a site and I have to manually enter the info.

Danny

11. rklv

rklv Registered Member

I might look into calling the bank.

RoboForm is fantastic. Never have a problem. I purchased the Pro version as it is so handy for all the sites I visit.
    Check it out here http://www.roboform.com/

Dick

12. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

Roboform is great. I too use the pro version.

13. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Negative Captain Kirk...

Here is a good example of a cookie you might WANT to save (at least I do)... go to
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=%24INDU
    ...and click on "Upgrade to MSN Money Investment Toolbox more charts, more options"...

What this does is let you select to d/l an activex control that you can then chart your personal investments with. Customized chart info (your investment funds) is stored in the registry, but without the cookie IE won't recognize that you have already d/l the activex control and you will have to d/l it again just to set the cookie.

Functionality without flexibility is is like driving a Corvette with a 2-position gas pedal (understanding that some like to drive that way! ;) ). There is a black list for cookies (see jpg attachment of my prior post in this thread), why not a white list??

And another example of a cookie I'd like to save... my bank site sometimes posts ads for additional services, such as automatic bill pay. Clicking "Do not show this ad again" sets a cookie that saves my preference to NOT SEE THE AD AGAIN... one I would like to keep!*puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.