Privacy Appliance

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DrMike, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

$99 forever - No subscription needed. And it's opensource firmware so the community can even provide updates if we went out of business or anything of the sort.

Any openVPN or PPTP (for backwards compatibility). If we have enough interest we may use our own VPN as an optional service, it's in the plan but I think most people have VPN's or would just user Tor. You always have the option to use what ever service you want. Be it our VPN, your VPN, or Tor.

Yes, the unit by default sit's in between your modem and router. All traffic from the router is anonymized by the unit which then sends it out through the modem. Advanced users can use the unit as their Router if they desire. Current prototype does this via USB port and a external WiFi attenea but one of our stretch goals is to bake in a WiFi card.

Since we want it to be very easy to use default mode is ethernet (inbetween the moden and Router) and using Tor. For advanced use you can connect over the LAN to the web interface. Once logged in you have full control of the unit and can set it up as a WiFi router.

There is also a button ontop of the unit that allows the user to enable/disable Tor/VPN quickly and on demand.

I will look into having a whitelist/blacklist of devices that are sent through Tor/VPN. Should be pretty easy to setup.

The unit is running a secure (GRSecurity Hardened) linux kernel to help mitigate exploits. We have also secured the web front-end by generating secure default passwords as most users will never login or change them.

Just to mention:
    The minimum specs are what we are going with so far. If we get enough funding to afford it we will upgrade to the better specs bellow. Both do the same thing, the better specs obviously mean better performance and potentially more features because of the increased storage size. We have prototypes running both platforms right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

So what your saying is, I cannot connect my WiFi laptop straight to the device and then through the router and out to the internet? I only have a router as my ISP does not provide a modem and likely its built into the router.

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I think you'd have to connect the laptop to the Anonobot via ethernet temporarily, to configure it so the Anonobot would handle the wi-fi networking.

Just think of your ISP-supplied gateway as your modem and put it in bridge mode, if you can do that.

4. x942

x942 Guest

You should be able to disable the built in router and only use it as a Modem. Then plug in the AnonoBot and set it up to act as the router. Not sure about your ISP ours up here let you do this though.

Alternatively you can hook the AnonoBot to the laptop using ethernet and have the AnonoBot connect to the hotspot and act as a "bridge".

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I'm in the same boat, so I'm not sure how to resolve this. The basic tech support for my ISP have been clueless and the company is trying to milk me of money. They want a service technician to come out to assist me. If he finds nothing wrong, I get charged $99 dollars for the service call. If he does assist me, I'm looking at a service charge to reactive my service. In all my years of service with AT&T, there customer service has gone down hill and they have charges for every little thing. I feel bad for the field techs, they get paid less than the IT guys working in-house, but are expected to price gauge their customers. I'm enticed by the offer, but I'm no closer to getting around this than I was 4 months ago.

6. x942

x942 Guest

Found this: -https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Using-my-own-router-is-this-possible/td-p/3299453-

Apparently you can plug in the AnonoBot or any router to the LAN port and then disable Uverse Wireless in the web interface.

7. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Thanks for sharing this, it so happens we have the same model 2Wire 3801HGV Router/modem. I remember speaking with Taliscicero and a couple others about trying using a separate router than the router/modem AT&T provided. I'm going to go into the settings and see if I can figure out how he disabled the U-Verse Wireless Web interface. I should be able to test this with one of spare netgear routers we have lying around. Fingers crossed.

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

If I decide to purchase AnonoBot, how do I go about signing up and paying the $99?

9. x942

x942 Guest

No problem! Hope it works! :thumb:

You register for free on Indiegogo and than the purchase is either direct credit card or via paypal.

10. TheKid7

Thanks for the Info.

11. x942

x942 Guest

Yup No problem. I am also upload photos of the current prototype unit.:thumb:

EDIT:

Photos are up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It's probably too much to ask for but here goes.
    Since the device can already use Tor, how about making it able to function as a relay, bridge or exit node? This would not only relieve the PC of this load, it would also prevent an exploit using Tor from compromising that PC. Could make it configurable via SSH from a LAN PC.

13. x942

x942 Guest

I am sure it could work, I will run some test here. Our plan is to allow users to have root access to the device. We are doing this in as secure a way as possible:

Random 16 char. password is generated for each unit's web interface and put in the manual. The web interface asks you to change the password on log in. Once logged in you can go to advanced -> SSH and setup the rest from there.

Once in you can do anything a normal linux box can do, included setup a bridge or exit node.:thumb:

14. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

My ISP locks me into using their hardware. They provide no username or passwords and are on MER. I have no clue how to get around it to be honest.

15. x942

x942 Guest

Interesting. PM me I may be able to help you get it working.

Also I was asked on indiegogo how openVPN performance was:

OpenVPN and PPTP have both been tested and work very well with our prototype unit. We tested both using three different VPN proiders (ProXPN, Private Tunnel, and our own). We didn't see any noticeable drop in performance.

16. TheKid7

Any updates on the status of the new Privacy Appliance project?

17. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I remember when I had the Iphantom and I connected, the device directed me to the Iphantom servers. So my connection was encrypted to their servers and then decrypted and sent out to the internet. But I was also able to fire up Xerobank. My connection was encrypted with Xerobank and was then encrypted again as it passed through the Iphantom device. So My ISP could only see my encrypted connection to Iphantom, because whatever came through my router was forced through the Iphantom gateway first.. And Iphantom could only see my encrypted connection to Xerobank. And if I fired up the TBB, Xerobank could only see my connection to Tor. With this new device, will there be something similar to the Iphantom gateway so that I can do something similar to this?

18. x942

x942 Guest

A few updates:

1) We are at $343 now in funding and 34 days left.

2) We are adding in B.A.T.M.A.N mesh networking protocal. This means you will be able to deploy meshnets with Tor/VPN running on each exit node of the Meshnet. Hopefully Making Tor even more wide spread.

19. TheKid7

Any updates on the Privacy Appliance Project?

20. x942

x942 Guest

We have 6 days left for funding, $731 rasied out of 150K needed. We are going to evaluate the campaign and post on kickstarter instead, unless some miracle happens in 6 days.

We have 4 prototypes that work though so we will continue to press forward.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.