Prevx1 hosed fdisr

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by divedog, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I uninstalled Prevex via add remove programs. After it was uninstalled I couldn’t freeze any snapshots, I would receive error 405 the log file said error 7405. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe Prevx1 isn't uninstalled completely.
    That's why I use "Add/Remove Programs" AND "Total Uninstall" AND a registry cleaner to install/uninstall any software.
    A test snapshot for Prevx1 would have been a better choice.

3. divedog

I did use a reg cleaner but no total uninstaller. A test snapshot would have indeed been a better choice. I have limited space on my c drive 80gb raptor but I could have archived one of the snapshots to make room for the test snapshot. Live and learn. Prevx was making things disappear from the tray, like fdisr icon and nod32 icon, very strange, it also disabled my cd burning software and I had to reload it. Luckily it didn’t take long to rebuild with ATI. What I thought was really strange is I couldn't use the freeze function even after booting to another snapshot.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Running Prevx1 here and it is fine. You weren't by chance using the "R" beta version by chance.

I'd always try removing from the start menu first and prevx does have an entry there.

Only caveat in what I say is I don't use freeze function, so thats an unknown to me.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Divedog

It's easier than that. You don't need to build a test snapshot. Just update your archive's from a snapshot of choice. Use it to test PRevx or whatever. Then when you are done, Refresh from the archive back to the snapshot. Done.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't have an explanation for what happened to you. Each user has a different system.
    I had troubles with "O&O CleverCache" and FDISR, while other FDISR-users didn't have any problem.

I took so many measurements in hardware/software to protect myself against disasters and they really work each time, when I'm in serious trouble.
    It makes you feel almost invincible. I don't even care anymore when I'm in serious trouble.
    Each time, I'm back in business within minutes instead of hours.

For new reliable and unreliable softwares, I always use a test snapshot, because FDISR is the very best uninstaller you can have, much better than "Add/Remove Programs" + "Total Uninstall" + "Registry Cleaner".

Of course once you have accepted a software and this is usually a legitimate software and you want to uninstall this software, than you need "Add/Remove Programs" + "Total Uninstall" + "Registry Cleaner" to uninstall this software completely and use them all three in that order.

7. divedog

After I uninstalled Prevx and realized that I had a problem, I tried to refresh from a snapshot that still had Prevx installed, thinking it would put things back the way they were before the uninstall. I tried to freeze the snapshot, no luck. I then tried to freeze the primary snapshot, no luck. Whatever uninstalling Prevx did it seems it was common to all the snapshots. I have only been using fdisr for about a month and it does seem like a fine piece of software. I do think I would have been fine had I just deleted or refreshed the snapshot without the uninstall.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That might have caused your problem.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The disappearing icons are a long time Windows glitch where adding some programs to startup can cause some tray icons not to appear in the tray, although the program itself will still be running. I have personally found this to be particularly true with software that installs a service, and it usually happens after you already have many other apps installed. The main fix I have found for this is to use a program that can re-order the registry startup items, or try disabling one or two startup items (things like the Quicktime updater: qttask.exe) or one or two unneeded services (if you know what you're doing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.