PrevX Test File

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by nrms, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrms

nrms Registered Member

I downloaded the testfile notpad.exe which I understood from elsewhere is supposed to trigger a response from PrevX to block me from downloading it.

However, I was able to download it and run it and not a peep from PrevX to either action.

Is there a better testfile I can try or is PrevX actually not doing anything on my system at all?

PS I uninstalled the current release and fresh installed the latest RC candidate 3.0.4.195 and this showed the same behaviour (ie no reaction).

NigelS

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi, here's another SAFE test file you can try.-

http://www.misec.net/trojansimulator/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
  3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Could you please let me know what other security applications you are using and what operating system?

Thanks! :)

4. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Antivirus ESet NOD32 v4.0.437
    That's it.

Vista SP2 platform

Thanks
    NigelS

5. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Also,

I'm not too impressed with the slowdown of my PC since putting the latest RC beta of PrevX 3 onto my machine. I've just launched my Adobe apps - they used to launch in about 10-15 seconds. Now they are taking 2-3 mins each and *every* dll & minor file loaded appears as an "authenticating" dialog from the system tray. Seems to take a really long take to authenticate each file as well. Hope it gets better than this otherwise I'll be sticking with the current stable release until my license expires.

NigelS

6. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I think a second start off Adobe should be much faster...

7. PrevxHelp

Could you send me a scan log by clicking Tools > Save Scan Results and send it to report@prevxresearch.com? This may give more detail as to the source of the slowdown/missed detection.

8. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Thanks for this. I ran it and Eset picked it up and quarantined it but nothing from Prev X.

9. PrevxHelp

I suspect ESET removing it prevented Prevx from seeing it, but, if you can reproduce Prevx not seeing it with ESET disabled, could you let me know what build of Prevx you're using so we can try and pinpoint the problem?

10. nrms

nrms Registered Member

@PrevxHelp

Unfortunately, Vista is no more on my machine as I have now replaced the OS with Windows 7 RTM as a clean image install. This time I have stayed with the stable release 3.0.1.65 as I didn't like what I saw in the beta; so I cant help troubleshoot further.

However, I do have two further observations.

On the clean Win7 platform I installed PrevX (301.65) BEFORE installing Eset Nod32 (latest). A little later I noticed that Prevx was disabled & not running at all. I *think* NOD32 had removed it. I uninstalled & reinstalled PrevX a second time, and now it all seems OK. This is the first time I've installed PrevX before NOD32 - previously I've added PrevX after NOD32, so it's worht noting this behaviour.

Having got PrevX running OK, I then tried to redownload Notpad.exe testfile and can report: (i) the simple act of downloading the file does not trigger PrevX; but when I tried to run it, PrevX did activate a red alert.

Thanks
    NigelS

11. microbial

microbial Registered Member

I disabled ESET and it wasn't picked up by PrevX during extraction of the simulated trojan from .zip or during execution of file. ThreatFire did block it however. I am running PrevX 3.0.1.65

Thanks

12. PrevxHelp

You will need to disable ThreatFire as well to test if Prevx blocks it - if any scanner/AV blocks a file, then generally no other scanner can see it.

Let me know how it turns out :)

13. PrevxHelp

We will be having a new version released within the next day or two which should dramatically improve the stability in the test release.

We have had problems with ESET in the past detecting/blocking Prevx files which could be the source this time. Could you double check that you've updated to the newest version of NOD32?

This is the correct behavior - Prevx warns when a program becomes a threat to your system, not when it is just an idle file saved on disk.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.