Prevx systray icon occasionally doesn't load

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by pegas, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It does sometimes happen that the Prevx icon in systray doesn't load after booting. However prevx.exe is loaded in processes and I can also open Prevx's GUI via Programs. Prevx virtually works, just the systray icon isn't shown there. I know that vanishing systray icons is the common issue in Windows XP but in my Vista Business SP2 all systray icons always load. I don't know how often it happens, I can't materialize it, simply occasionally. I am not so bothered by this because the re-login cures it. Just to report you.

Edit: I have disabled option Tray Notifications Cache in CCleaner (This cache stores information about any items that have ever appeared in your System Tray, and whether or not you have set them to Hide, Hide When Inactive, or Always Show). Will see if it has any effect.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. microbial

microbial Registered Member

I have had this problem too. Sort of disconcerting.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We've had a few reports of this but have never found a tangible cause for it. Do either of you use multiple user accounts/switch using Fast User Switching or use any programs to manage the system tray icons?

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Neither multiple accounts and fast switching on my side. Also no program managing the systray icons. Just CCleaner. After disabling Tray Notifications Cache, it has not happened yet. However since I had restarted my PC just two times, so will follow up.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Unfortunately I am compelled to reopen that issue :(.

Having overseen carefully behavior of Prevx icon in the systray within last two weeks I can conclude that CCleaner takes no effect on Prevx's icon. It doesn't matter the Tray Notifications Cache in CCleaner is on or off. Prevx icon is ONLY one in my systray that is disobedient :D. So Joe can you please more explore this issue?
    Thx.

6. PrevxHelp

Yes, I definitely will :) We haven't seen anything reliable as to a cause to it but will look deeper.

Is your setup still: Ad Muncher, CCleaner, ESET Smart Security and Prevx?

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Joe, thx for your willingness to deal with the issue! My setup is as you have mentioned. For the rest see my signature.

8. PrevxHelp

Hi pegas,
    We've tried to reproduce this issue and so far have not been able to with some extensive reboot/logoff/logon tests :doubt:

I'll keep you updated if we can reproduce it but if you could think of any other factor in place, please let me know :)

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Fully understand, when I was intentionally trying to replicate this issue it never happened but suddenly later it occurred randomly without my endeavor :doubt: The icon behaves sometimes on its own.

Thx, if I notice something to be shared with you to cure this issue, I will approach you.

10. guest

guest Guest

Hi Joe,

I have recently the same problem too here with WinXP Pro SP3. o_O Since I had to reinstall windows (maybe .. ahem .. due to strange behavior after heavy beta testing/debugging of certain software without backup :D) at my new SSD a few days ago sometimes Prevx icon doesn't appear in tray and then again (mostly) not. Yesterday after one reboot it was back but you know ... I didn't buy that expensive and fast SSD :-* to boot always twice just because some icon isn't in the mood. ;)

Before you are asking: No at this time there is no Fritz!DSL Protect involved (yet!) - I can hear your 'THANK GOD'! :D - and of course I have now disk imaged my boot partition not avoiding backup topic any longer. :ninja: Avira Premium protects me (as I can see by always present red umbrella icon :D) and I am using additionally public Prevx version staying away for now from beta software at all. :p - None of the things you mentioned seem to be the case here (multiuser, icon managing ..).

And btw ... you remember my 'black bar IE8 problem' in one of the RC threads? :D - That is a real plague around the world as you can google for yourself! :cool: - I had this 'dirtiness' problem a few times on this brandnew xp install too. It really has nothing to do with Prevx and all somehow with using classic xp desktop theme and can for example be 'cured' by pressing ctrl+alt+print twice (very ugly sight impaired thing :) ) and after that restarting IE ... so it was just coincidence back then! JFYI. ;)

11. PrevxHelp

Just for absolute sanity's sake, could you check if under Settings > Basic Configuration, you have the checkbox "Show a system tray icon" ticked? In the > 5 months of having v3.0.1.65 released without a single change, we have never found a reason for the tray icon disappearing and have only heard a very small number of reports about it :doubt: However, if you are coming across this regularly, please let me know and I'll gladly take a look remotely whenever you're free to see what the problem may be :)

Yikes :blink: Quite a bizarre issue :D Good to know it wasn't us! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.