PrevX no longer available in freeware version?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RejZoR, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

OK, i've been checking for PrevX and it appears that they no longer offer freeware edition for personal usage. Is this correct? Can someone point out any info about this or link me up with freeware version? I can't appear to find it on their website.
    Thx

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

They only offer the beta version as 'freeware' these days. That said, their beta's have always been quite stable on my system.

http://free.prevx.com/

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats bad. Sure it's free but again it's research version so there will be more possible bugs. Guess i'll have to try this one then. I'm kinda already used to run beta software on my rig...

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I'm using it and have no problems with it.

5. Ailric

Ailric Guest

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is there any system slow by it? How much memory it takes?

7. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Quote from PrevX site:

It looks like there are two different ways to run a free version: PrevX-R, the "beta" with full features, and Prev-1, without updates and community check, isn't it? o_O

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I run the research version which is available at the link for Prevx1 "R" at the bottom of the home webpage: http://www.prevx.com

I find the web tech support to be very good, and each issue I relay to them, they reply in a timely manner. They appreciate the feedback, and it helps them to improve the product - and its free!

Its on automatic update, and I run in Prevx1 Pro Mode.

-- Tom

9. lotuseclat79

Hi nicM,

Prevx1R has both full features and community check - it must, because when I install something new that the community does not know about, it prompts for a description of the new software.

I can't imagine why the full featured product, Prevx-1 would not have updates, its just that Prevx1R, as a research version, is bleeding edge and so gets to test out the updates before they are wound into the fully stable product (which has less frequent updates in order to insure stability).

In this way, Prevx can offer the fully featured research version "free" because there is a feedback process that benefits the stable paid for product.

-- Tom

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi lotuseclat79,

Sure, the best is to run the R version, if not the full version(s); I just did this remark because the quote from PrevX site seems to suggest that the full version can be used "free" too - with theses features disabled though.

But the R version is more functionnal anyway, if you don't get updates and community check on the full version :) .

11. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Prevx1R is as you say a means for Prevx to beta test the product to a wider audience. As I’m sure you appreciate these types of products in the consumer market are very difficult to compatibility test with the diversity of environments we find in the consumer world.

We therefore took a decision to offer the Prevx1R product for free on the condition users are aware it’s a beta release and potentially may cause issues. That said however we do maximize the test and qa of each release (including Prevx1R) before we ship into the Prevx1R environment and so don’t expect to see major issues.

The Prevx1R will contain more functionality by the fact it is a beta release and may contain functionality which doesn’t ship in the final product.

On expiry of the license for Prevx or the trail period for Prevx1R the product will revert into a semi protection status. Historical determinations (eg previously blocked malware) will continue to be enforced, however new malware unseen on the local PC will not be blocked.

You can obtain the free release from the following: http://free.prevx.com/ and we would advise not to obtain this from any other source. If you have any further questions then contact support through the system tray icon.

Regards,

Prevx Support

12. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I am interested in finding out how people use Prevx1? Meaning do you use it along side of your AV and FW or is it best used in a stand alone situation with standard xp FW.

13. lotuseclat79

Hi Ptah,

Prevx1R is a startup item in my setup along side my AV and FW. I don't see why it couldn't be used with XP FW, however, XP FW is inbound only, and AFAIK Prevx1R would probably not provide any outbound notification like a 3rd party FW, or the specific features of an AV for cleaning, quarantine, and removal.

I use it in Prevx1 Pro (Advanced Mode) with Protection Plus enabled to send malware to Prevx (if any cross paths with my system).

-- Tom

14. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Before installing (60 day trial) of Prevx1 should I remove appdefend, regdefend and counterspy?

15. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

To any Prevx1 users!

Hello, has anybody used Prevx1 and did you uninstall your spyware programs before installing Prevx1? Also should you remove programs like appdefend and regdefend before installing. I look forward to any response novice and expert.

Thank you :D

16. lotuseclat79

Re: To any Prevx1 users!

Hi Ptah,

Typically, I'll download the program, shutdown all of my apps, then install and reboot. Also, since I am on dialup, I'll disconnect, and would not recommend shutting down AV or FW if on 24/7 broadband, but even there it is possible to disconnect, but probably more involved in bringing everything up again.

-- Tom

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have not used it with RegDefend or Appdefend but used it with PG free, Norton Security and MSAS and was no conflict. With PG during install of Prevx, I swithched off PG Protection.

18. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Sunday evening I download and try to install Prevx1 but it would not install correct. It got to a spot and stopped, I tried reinstalling but It said I had already installed it. I found the folder where it had installed ran the exe.setup but nothing. Has anyone else had this problem. I am using a dell xps 600 with ghost security, counterspy, Kav 5 and Kah if that helps.

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Did you disable your other security apps before installing? If not, it's very possible that they prevented Prevx1 from installing correctly. Try uninstalling (from Add/Remove Programs or the Start menu), if you can't then contact support, they should be able to help you get it uninstalled fully, then you can try again.

20. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

21. Notok

Notok Registered Member

That's the last version, which is no longer supported. Prevx1 R is the closest to freeware that is available now.

The price for the full version has been dropped to $20, though, which is a pretty good deal. For $40 you can get the family license (5 computers) that also gives you the web interface that also allows you to create custom policy sets.

22. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Using Prevx1 now since december I am happy with this great prog, no probs on my machine. I had one issue yesterday which was answered prompt by the Prevx guys, :thumb: (Thanks!)
    This is real value for money.

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.