Prevx Home Edition - free

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JohnK, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Free protection

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I'm not trying to be cynical. I'm trying to learn. I'm allways looking for additional protection. I just wanted to know if it would provide added protection. o_O

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Prevx provides some protection at the file level, as well as some memory protection against buffer overflow attacks. It's totally different than PG, and I think it compliments it quite well as it has the potential to provide some good protection against user error, should you unwittingly allow something to run that shouldn't.

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Anyone know if there has been an update?

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've checked for any updates, so far, there's nothing yet.

6. webster

webster Registered Member

The bufferoverflow protection actually works. The new Spysweeper 3.0 creates bufferoverflow when i close it, and PREWX alerts, and blocks it. The problem is, that it creates the "Sasser" countdown and reboot. I have to close PREWX before Spysweeper, to avoid it. Sometimes i forget it.

7. WilliamP

Thank you Webster. I may just give it a try. I am a security nut. So long as the program will increase protection and not cause problems.

8. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

There are no guarantees that it will not cause any problems, as it is still in beta testing stages. From what I can tell most people don't have problems with it, and the few that do are most likely their own faults.

9. notageek

OK Now for some odd reason after I launch Prevx My computer freezes. I think there's conflict with another program. I'll keep people informed on the poroblem .

10. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

Is there anyone who installed Prevx with Abtrusion Protector already installed?
    I've been using AP and I'm afraid it could be conflict between the programs.

11. Rui

Rui Registered Member

That happens in my system, too. This inconvenient is solved when you untick the "Enable spy installation shield" in Spysweeper 3.0. If you do this you will be able to close Spysweeper without the buffer overflow occurring. I guess you may prevent spyware installation through Spybot's Teatimer, too. At least, this was the only way I found to solve the buffer overflow problem.

12. webster

webster Registered Member

Thank you :) . I have just found another way around. I only use the bufferoverflow protection for "managed services and third party services". It protects firewall and antivirus, and other vulnerable applications, and i think it is enough. The Windows installer creates bufferoverflow too, when you install/uninstall. I have also disabled the IE, and run key protection. I will let Spysweeper take care of all IE protection.

13. WilliamP

Notageek, how is it going with the freezing problem? o_O

14. WilliamP

Downloaded today. Played around with it some. Everything seems to work great and I haven't had any problems. In fact I'm really impressed with the program. When I opened Spywareblaster it gave me an alert popup. I told it not do tell me again and allowed it to open. Then I went back and opened it again and it worked like a charm.

15. notageek

Sorry for not getting back to you WIlliam. It's been a busy weekend. :)

My computer isn't freezing anymore. I closed all the programs running 1 by 1 to find the program cuasing it abd found that it was the caller ID program I had running bothering Prevx. I got the problem fixed. I also sent and email tell the maker of the caller id program telling them about this problem.

Now the other thing I wish was fixed it the updating. I wish you could pick if you want it to auto update or not.

16. WilliamP

Notageek, if I'm not mistaken Prevx is supposed to monitor the registry. I wonder how you can find out the registry key monitored? Glad to hear you quit freezing.

17. notageek

I don't know that one. I think maybe that would be a good addtion to this program. :)

18. WilliamP

According to the Control Panel there is monitoring of the Registry Run Keys.

19. notageek

Yeah now I'm having an issue with Prevx closing down lsass.exe. Everytime I do something it closes it down and restarts my computer. Right now I'm running Prevx without the buffer part of the program. I'm on my way over to the website to let them know about this.

20. nadirah

Here's the latest updates:

Attached Files:

21. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Does anyone get any type of error when restarting their computer with Prevx installed? I get one about PXAgent.exe and some memory error relating to it. I have submitted this to Prevx. I get this same exact error on both my win2k and winxp computers.

22. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yup, I get the error msg too.

23. notageek

I quit using the program for the time being. I was only able to use 72% of the program becuase of the buffer overflow stopping lsass.exe from running.

24. nadirah

I have been using prevx for a few weeks now, no error messages at all! very smooth! :D

25. controler

controler Guest

Running it also with no problems.
    Running XP Pro SP2 RC2
    My test machine.

Also running Bo Clean, Antivir, and Panda with firewall and Built in Windows firewall
    for XP log readers I am using
    XP Log Reader and FrielogXP
    oh yea SG and spywarebalster and of course Spybot
    on a Actiontec Wireless Router set to high

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.