prevx business practices are appauling.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by taleblou, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

People are lucky who know Joe on this forum.

An average customer/user doesn't and most probably doesn't know that a forum exists.

An average customer/user when he/she formats his/her computer under duress has to have license keys on hand for each and every programs he/she owns. Most probably the license keys are lots when the computer crashed. Now he/she has to send an email to each vendor to get something working he/she legally owns. Add to that not knowing if the company will respond, let alone if they will respond in time.

After being in USA for 15 years, while on the way home, I did a year in UK. Those were the days of IBM PC, IBM XT and IBM XT (now I am giving away my old, old age, lol). I remember a client who used a European program. Every time, I asked him for a database report, he had to un-plug the printer from the parallel port and plug a dongle for this legally owned program to work. Every time, I could hear him mutter something under his breath.

And, them we are also familiar of Lotus 1-2-3, when people forced their companies to buy this program and the PC with it to ease their workload. We are also familiar with the downfall of Mitch Kapor as well.

The guy in the OP is a regular poster on this forum and a customer of Prevx. I shudder to think how others will be treated when a paid customer is treated as such.

Kind regards,

KOR!

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I think everyone gives me too much credit here, although I appreciate the praise :) I'm not on the support team at all (although my > 5,000 posts here and thousands of PMs would probably raise cause for that being an inaccurate statement). We have an entire team of people dedicated to product support and indeed, by a large margin, the most frequent messages we receive are related to resetting license keys.

This is exactly true - only a very small portion of our users know what a forum is, let alone that we have one. However, we make the licensing restoration process as easy as possible. The OP has still not contacted me but probably has already gone through the normal means of contacting support and will have received a response as we currently have zero messages unanswered regarding licensing inquiries. We can restore a license key with any piece of information, from an email address, name, purchase number, etc. and don't require that every user keep track of their long license key (as indeed, many misplace it).

We respond to every message we receive and we say we will respond within 24 hours, although generally we will respond within the same hour as we have staff which span across all timezones worldwide. Users can also use the MyPrevx console to reset it immediately if needed. We do have limitations in the console (as if we allowed unlimited license modifications, it would negate the reason for having the protection), but users don't tend to reinstall their OS on a weekly basis, and, if they do, they can take an image of their base OS and install Prevx on it to prevent having to ever reset their license again.

Prevx 3, along with many other software applications, ties its license to the operating system installation specifically. Prevx 4 will provide an alternate view of the PC's hardware but each of these methods is imperfect (changing hardware results in a broken license, or reinstalling the OS results in a broken license). However, using both, we will be able to dramatically reduce the overhead of licensing support calls.

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your kind response.

An average Joe, who is an average computer user, deals with many companies and deals with different licensing requirements. One can feel their frustrations too!

Best regards,

KOR!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (though belated)!

4. vojta

vojta Registered Member

We all feel the frustrations caused by computers and everything that is around them. It's a glitchy word full of problems and downtimes. But venting your frustrations before searching for solutions doesn't benefit anyone. If everybody did so internet would be an awful place to visit (........oh, wait a moment.....).

I hope someday someone also feels the frustration of those who are tired of reading senseless rants where they only expect to find some information.

5. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

The second part of that line was mostly about them changing the way their licenses are handled. I apologize for the confusion as I spoke of two different things on that one line and could've been more clear.

If it were something serious I wouldn't have waited months to do/say anything about it. They weren't rude or anything.
    No worries, I've moved on. Had you offered the first time I'd have considered it, but you were only concerned with the employee(s). Probably an honest mistake and no big deal as I wasn't seeking a refund to begin with.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If you check your PMs, you'll see my offer was genuine. It is hard enough to post on Wilders from a mobile phone, let alone type a 36 digit license key :)

7. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Indeed. Thank you, PrevxHelp, for choosing to look past my admittedly unpleasant attitude and making "things right". I apologize for my uncool.
    Like I said in my PM reply, these pro-Prevx Support posts make more sense now. Many companies (and employees) wouldn't have bothered, even had I displayed a better attitude.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.