Prevx 2

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by damian666, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi All
    Can anyone tell me if there is a program that is as good or better than prevx 2
    THANK YOU
    DAME666

2. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Depends what you're looking for and how much user interaction you want or whether you want more to set and forget which Prevx in ABC mode is very good at.

Not sure if there is anything really directly comparable. Prevx is very good and so is the support.

I have historically swapped between Prevx and SSM (more of an absolute behaviour blocker and can be tricky to use as I keep finding :D ) SSM can be very unforgiving but also very potent in defending your system.

I will probably stick though with Online Armor but I'm biased as I've been in the beta test. IMO it will be excellent with a wide security
    coverage with the premise of being as 'mom/dad' friendly as possible.

Prevx and OA also seem to work well together.

Hope that helps.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Better in what way? It is not easy to answer that question. It depends on how you look at your computer security.
    Do you want to control everything that happens in your computer? Do you have the knowledge to determine what is good or bad?
    There are not many software that works like Prevx2 so it is hard to compare and give you the easy answer you are looking for.
    Prevx2 is a different approach to protect against same things as software like System Safety Monitor, Safe´n´sec, Appdefend, Process guard, Online Armor and others like them.
    The only way for you to know if this and that are better or worse than Prevx2 is to try a few of them.
    The difference is that with Prevx1 you let the community make the decision instead of you. Even though Prevx2 has some heuristic that might popup a question or two, you wont be "bothered" as much.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  4. Old Monk

Hi Sukarof

Your points are better made than mine :) However, in fairness to the OP I don't think we can put Online Armor in the same bracket as SSM and PG (I can't speak for AppDefend or Safe'n'Sec having not used them). Okay it has HIPS functions if required but also warns of stuff like ActiveX on web pages, Banking Mode etc.

IMO 'holds the hand' of the user, much like Prevx, to a far greater degree than SSM or PG where decisions are entirely at the end users own risk so to speak.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Sorry about that Old monk. I shouldnt have put OA in that list, since I have only tested it only for a short time long time ago.
    Thanks for correcting.

6. Old Monk

No worries at all Sukarof :) But interesting how the whole HIPS, CIPS arena gets greyer by the day. With so many products around, it surely does get easy to group such as OA or for that matter Prevx in a camp where it doesn't 'quite' fit.

I find it very hard to decide. I've just done a reformat and trying to stay very 'lean' and running light AV with light firewall with SSM with user interface disconnected.

It feels very good as I'm really taking my time with SSM on this occasion.

As I say though, for overall coverage with HIPS functionality if needed I think Online Armor will be the keeper.

@DAME666 - As you see as Sukarof rightly points out it boils down to personal preference, user knowledge and what works on your machine.

I have fallen into the trap of using far too much security in real time (especially HIPS) and eventually the machine just grinds to a halt. There are so many good apps you can put in your 'arsenal' but it is sometimes difficult to make a decision and stick with it.

Especially if you hang around here for any length of time - LOL

Prezx is good - if you like it and your machine is happy, stick with it. If your posting here you're many steps ahead of most out there !

7. damian666

Hi
    Im looking for something prevx running in pro or expert mode also what does imo mean old monk
    THANK YOU,S

8. Old Monk

Another trap I've fallen into and that from a former English teacher :oops:

Gawd, what have I come too. Security forums and web speak :ouch:

IMO = In my opinion.

9. Old Monk

Have a look and play with System Safety Monitor Free and see what you think.

Have a good back-up strategy though, just in case.

10. damian666

Cheers i thought IMO was another secutity program.
    For security at the moment i have prevx 2,BOClean,aol active virus shield,comodo firewall,spywareguard would you say this is to much and would it be making my computer slower i have windows media pc intelR Pentium 4 cpu 3.20ghz and 960mb of ram
    Ta
    Dame666

11. Old Monk

I'm no expert Dame666 so I'll let others comment on AOl Virus Shied, Comodo etc.

I'm currently running F-Prot AV, LooknStop firewall with SSM paid. Very light on resources. NOD32 I have also used a lot up til now and that also has been very light.

Getting off topic now really from your original post. Try starting another thread for more general advice on your current/future set up I would suggest is the best way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.