Preview of Outpost 2010 features

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CogitoTesting, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what? matousec actually testing the Firewall? never... :D

2. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Technic, maybe you could post that thread where
    you experienced such a bad welcome or un-friendly
    greeting or help? would love to see it!!

3. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

As a moderator at the OP forum I take exception to this unsubstantiated and most assuredly untrue comment. We allow a great amount of ignorance posted at the forum because we believe in freedom of speech. In fact, we'll even welcome you to have your say there.

4. Technic

Technic Registered Member

note that 6.7.1 only has partial (beta) win7 compliance as it was released prior to win7 being released. future versions will have better compliance.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184514&postcount=16

5. Technic

6. guest

guest Guest

7. Technic

No. I just use pretty random avatar. If that is ok? :p

8. Julian

Julian Registered Member

What's wrong with OA on Seven x32?
    With the current version I don't suffer any disadvantages.

Well, and I rather wait for a proper version of OA for x64 than to stick with the totally messed up Outpost X64 HIPS.

9. guest

guest Guest

IMO OA is better than AO xD but anyway probably when Comodo v4 will be released will be the best one jijiji :D

Yep, you gave me a good idea.

10. Julian

Julian Registered Member

For x64? We will see.
    However you didn't answer my question what is wrong with OA on Seven x32.

11. guest

guest Guest

I dont know but i didnt had any trouble with AO in win7 x64 and you only have to go to the OA forums and see all the troubles, even the admins of OA advice that we dont have any needed or hurry in move to v4 if we are using xp or vista.

12. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ everybody

Could we please keep the discussion focus on the prospective Outpost pro 2010 features.

Thanks.

13. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, these product x vs y vs z posts have NEVER been useful. Unless posters just like to raise a bit of #$%^^&!

When OP 2010 comes out and I get a chance to try it out for a while I'll comment FWIW technically then. Just wait for facts. :D

14. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

wow if that hurt your feelings, a mod at Outpost
    just giving it to you straight and not beating around the bush
    you may want to jump off...or maybe candy coat it for you!
    Dude as Manny stated unsubstantiated and definetly false statement
    you posted makes a fool!!

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I agree and dont open a can and not get called on it!!

16. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

To me the most interesting of the prospective features is the "Outpost Protected Objects". I think such a feature could be similar to one of the features in Comodo D+, hopefully quieter. What do you think guys of that feature and other ones.

Thanks.

17. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

dear technic, (aka ludow)

i see you are not fond of my postings regarding your threatened refund in the outpost firewall forum, i am sorry you feel that way, but again, i'll repeat here - the members there have nothing to do with agnitum's sales and or refund policy - which is also not germane to this thread (or the other one referenced).

you need to take that up with them (or visa), we at outpost firewall forum are just a support forum run by the member OP users. threatening to ask for a refund is not something that is helpful in finding a solution to the problem we were discussing there. i was trying to help by pointing out that agnitum's policy is quite clear and logical in respect to refunds and that a little patience would likely be better for you. after all you have a lifetime license, so it's not going to suddenly stop working. (even a limited license still keeps working, you just don't get free updates after the expiry instead of free updates forever like you will get when they are released)

i know we all would like to see the bugs fixed immediately, but give them a chance, they are only human, and it is not a big company like some of the other players in the field.

even microsoft has not ironed out all the bugs in win7 yet, especially in win7 x64 which was the subject of the thread you added you comments to over on our forum, so i do not expect agnitum to have done so either when they've only had a few months to work on it.

please do not try to hijack this thread by off-topic discussions. you would have gotten more help or at least commiseration at our forum if you posted more information as to your problem as i requested in the last post you referenced. grumbling about lack of updates in a thread devoted to information about one is not constructive either.

i'm sure anyone reading the full threads over there instead of just out of context posts, will get a better idea of what went on. feel free to return to the forum and post problems, just try to include enough information so that we might be able to help. your two posts over there do not have such info, and thus read like a gripe session rather than adding anything to the discussion, like here.

as i have stated, we are just users ourselves. so we do not get it right all the time. our only reward is solving problems and helping other people, but we expect some professionalism, help and consideration in return.

agnitum have, in spite of comments to the contrary, been issuing a number of updates to their firewall/security suites (see History for details) 8 in the last year so far.

(noting that the last release was before the release of win7)

Outpost (6.7.1 2983.450.0714) : 24 September 2009
    Outpost (6.7 2957.446.0711) : 27 july 2009
    Outpost (6.7 2954.446.0710) : 21 july 2009
    Outpost (6.5.5. 2535.385.0692) : 9 june 2009
    Outpost (6.5.4. 2525.381.0687) : 15 april 2009
    Outpost (6.5.3 2518.381.0686) : 04 march 2009
    Outpost (6.5.2514.381.685.326.204) : 14 february 2009
    Outpost (6.5.2509.366.0663) : 25 december 2008

and they are continuing with development of the new 2010 version as noted in their press release, as well as including fixes for existing bugs or improvements suggested by threads such as this one as well as adding in better win7 support. i expect they will have a number of releases before the 2010, but you'll need to check with agnitum on that as we have no influence on when or what they release. they may even have a public beta if we are lucky and ask nicely.

here we should be discussing agnitum's advance information on upcoming releases, specifically the 2010. i thank them for showing that they are continuing to move forward while responding to constructive criticism and fixing as many problems as they can. so far they have as far as i'm concerned.

to the rest, sorry for the long rant. i do get a bit verbose at times....

edited:

thank you, giddyup, for your short and to the point comments. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  18. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

19. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

It looks like you had an impact. From today's blog post among other things:

"6. SPI for UDP implemented (regards to old good Outpost 4.0)

We introduced a mechanism that can be used for blocking attempts of using non-TCP endpoints in server regime. In other words, incoming datagrams for endpoints are allowed only for those remote hosts from which at least one datagram was sent from the current endpoint. The mechanism allows to limit datagram endpoint usage only to the model of client behavior in the client-server scheme. This adds flexibility in terms of network security settings."

http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Sounds good. I can't wait for this to be released.

21. guest

guest Guest

Yes, seems that they are going to improve the firewall a lot, I hope to see one day a test for the firewalls like mamutu does for the hips.

22. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Yes this new release shoud be smokin hot!!
    gonna be fun for sure

23. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

So when can we take this puppy for a spin around the block, anyone know?

I've had my OPP in the software drawer gathering dust since the upgrade to Win7 because it done bad things to my FTP client, combined with the alerts being horrible.

I'm really hoping 2010 will be super.. I want to see Agnitum do well with this.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Its a start. I hope they find time/resources to implement better filtering for DHCP/DNS

I also see they are now intending to intercept invalid TCP flagged packets:-

"7. Filtration of invalid TCP flags"

25. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Agnitum blog lists changes to its Anti-Malware module.
    http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/anti-malware-improvements-part-1.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.