Pre-purchase question True Image Home 10 with Thinkpad

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by richk, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richk

richk Registered Member

If I use a Full disk backup (all partitions) will I be able to keep the OS and the restore partion so I can completely replace the disk? I am assuming that the Disk I am copying from is physically removed from the laptop and mounted as 2nd drive in another machine so there is no conflict over operating system files being "in use". When I restore, I would do the same for the target disk.

Also, what would happen if I restored to a disk that was larger than the original?

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello richk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

If I understood you correct you would like to replace the existing hard drive of your computer with the bigger drive and transfer all the data including operating system, installed applications etc from the small drive to the bigger one.

In this case we may recommend that you use Clone disk tool of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another.

If your computer doesn’t have a bay for another hard disk, you can two-steps method for transferring you system to another hard drive:

1) Create the image archive of the entire hard drive;

2) Boot you computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD and restore the image to the new hard drive.

You can find the detailed instructions on how create Bootable media in Chapter 10. "Creating bootable media" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide.

Please also note that during the clone procedure you will be able to select partition transfer method:

- As is;

- Proportional – the new disk space will be proportionally distributed among cloned partitions;

- Manual – you will specify the new size and other parameters yourself;

Please check chapter 13. "Transferring the system to a new disk" for details.

Also you will be able to resize the partition when you restore the image archive. Check chapter 6.3.8 "Changing the restored partition size and location".

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.