Power User & Limited User

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by progress, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

Hello,

what are the differences between these accounts? What I don't like with limited user account: It's not possible to update the browser? :(

But as far as I know the power user (and also malware) is allowed to change registry entries and so on :(

What do you recommend?

Regards

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Limited user, of course.

Just run your browser updater as administrator as required.

3. progress

progress Guest

.. and how should I know that there is a new update? :rolleyes:

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I don't know, have you tried the traditional method of letting the browser check for updates automatically?

5. progress

progress Guest

Yes, but it didn't work. Even if I do the update with admin account, in the limited user account the updates are missing :rolleyes: With power user account the browser update works :(

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well, that's definitely unusual. Which browser and OS are you using, and please provide a detailed explanation of the steps you take to upgrade.

7. progress

progress Guest

Windows XP SP3 - Firefox 3.0.10 (it has been Firefox 3.0.9 before)

The story:

I'm browsing with LUA in the www. My other machine (with PU) has been updated to Firefox 3.0.10. I was waiting for the update in limited user account but nothing happened. Then I opened "Help - Searching for updates" to update it manual. But the font was light grey, the function was inactive. I transfered the account to PU and the update worked without any problem.

What can I do Mr. Eice :'(

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well - I have absolutely no idea. :ouch:

The Firefox update checks work perfectly in a limited account on my end. The things I can think of to check at this point are: are you using any "helper" programs to run Firefox in your limited account, such as SuRun or Online Armor's "Run Safer"? Where is your Firefox profile folder located? Is it inside your Windows user profile folder? Have you created any custom policies for your user account?

For the moment I believe this behavior is an isolated occurrence instead of being something intrinsic to a limited account. Hopefully someone else can think of something, or you might want to post at the Mozillazine forums for support from the Firefox people.

9. progress

progress Guest

Great to know, so it's a specific problem on my machine. I'm running no helper tools, hm I will try it again I think. Thank you :thumb:

10. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  11. progress

progress Guest

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

13. progress

progress Guest

:(

I'm running with LUA and I added write permissions to the Firefox path :) Everything is ok with Firefox update now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.