Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

When I run shadowsetting.exe from v2.6, it tries to connect to 210.51.168.100.

http://210.51.168.100/

IP address:
    Looking for '210.51.168.100'

Server 'whois.apnic.net' reply [1252 bytes in raw data]:

inetnum: 210.51.168.0 - 210.51.173.255
    netname: XINNET
    descr: XinNet Technology Corp.
    admin-c: TJ35-AP
    tech-c: YZ618-AP
    changed: cncipaddr@china-netcom.com 20041012
    mnt-by: MAINT-CN-ZM28
    mnt-lower: MAINT-CN-BJIDC
    source: APNIC

route: 210.51.0.0/16
    descr: CNC Group CncNet
    origin: AS9929
    mnt-by: MAINT-CNCGROUP-RR
    changed: abuse@cnc-noc.net 20060330

person: Tao Jiang
    nic-hdl: TJ35-AP
    e-mail: bjidc-ipaddr@china-netcom.com
    address: No.1,Beihuan Donglu,BDA,Beijing,China
    phone: +8610-67875599-7274
    fax-no: +8610-67878624
    changed: cncipaddr@china-netcom.com 20040227
    mnt-by: MAINT-CN-BJIDC

person: YiChao Zhang
    nic-hdl: YZ618-AP
    e-mail: zhangyichao@myce.net.cn
    address: BEI JING
    phone: +86-010-67865113
    changed: BJIDC-IPADDR@china-netcom.com 20041009
    mnt-by: MAINT-CN-BJIDC

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm right there with ya' LoL Know what you mean. ;)

Only i'm atm, running (testing) this free Virtual Machine inside a Sandbox. In case anyone's interested, dunno where i seen this or if i even seen it discussed here but trying it out inside Power Shadow.
    I know is a bit overK, but heh, if it works right why not, right?

VirtualBox

Power Shadow has my undivided full attention and likely i'll just go ahead and uninstall ShadowSurfer now that PS is proving worth it's metal, and store it away for a rainey day.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Using Winrar here.

I just executed PS 2.8 then opened the English folder inside Winrar, highlighted the contents then drag and drop them into C:\WINDOWS\system32\shadow.

Windows will prompt - do you want overwrite this file with this one, press "yes to all".

There are a few different ways you can do this but as long as you can get the contents of the English folder to overwrite it's Chinese counterparts in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shadow Bob's ya uncle - meaning - you should be ok.

4. Espresso

Chuck57 wrote:
    It's pretty straightforward.
    -Install v2.82 and reboot
    -Extract the shadow english folder from the archive.
    -Open it and select all files and folders.
    -Right click and choose Cut
    -Open c:\windows\system32\shadow and paste all the files. (control-v or right click and choose Paste)

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

So what exactly if you could outline in brief those marked differences between 2.6 then say from that for 2.8?
    I assume theres some improvement to features as well as the added benefits that were brought out earlier.
    The stability is pretty remarkable w/ little if any resource rise and i surely not noticed any problems so far with actually running m'ware on it which is my chief use with these type sandbox programs. Interesting find without a doubt.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry a bit OT but how u compare VirtualBox with VMware. As I see VB is also free.
    How big is the download for VB?
    Thanks

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

10.8 MB = VirtualBox

VMWare i installed once and it ate up a lot of real estate plus resources so really haven't went back to it again even though many users highly favor it.

VirtualBox is an ongoing project if i read their home page notes right. Any Virtual Machine is going to pull down some serious resources over time i would think, including this one but so far i installed one XP Pro into it and added a ton of programs and although not as equal in response to normal windows it does seem to be suitable, at least for my purposes which again is testing m'wares along with security programs etc.

The neat item i like is that it needs to capture/keep the mouse/keyboard within the Virtual screen (click arrow within it), but a simple tap of the Ctrl (Right side) key releases the hook back to your regular screen again. Still new to me and deserves more going over before it wins my complete interest like Power Shadow, but it does look to have some potential. One side note, i not been able to save a snapshot with it yet so i go into the folder and copy then paste the .vdi file it uses to make a volume/disk and save it to another drive if something messes up.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Can I install ubuntu in it?

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Don't see why not. Even if it's not listed from the drop down box of O/S's there is another selection named "other". Try that one let us know how you make out on the install.
    Funny too or just coincidental maybe but i was just thinking of doing the same thing myself once i figured out how to 'save' a snapshot or generically save the file (.vdi) of the XP Pro install. Got my Ubuntu install disc at the ready after i put 98 in it first. LoL

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I might try it.

11. silat

silat Registered Member

I have 2.8. I install. But where is the English folder you are referring to? The 2.8 is an exe. When installed there is no En file/folder.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  12. silat

silat Registered Member

Im still interested:)
    Are my posts not showing up?
    wyoksyofeeATkriocoudek.mailexpire.com

13. Franklin

The English folder should be in the ZIP folder along with the exe.

Did you get the link to version 2.82 from Espresso?

14. silat

silat Registered Member

I have it just now:)
    Thanks for caring:)

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It's very timely AFAIK that finally another new SandBox find is surfaced. Like some others, i also been so used to relying solely on a Shadowsurfer in order to steer clear from all the many other ongoing & neverending releases (one after another) of a Sandboxie, BufferZone, etc., and those are great programs don't get me wrong, but is much simpler to be able to turn to a single app that can do everything & more many others do but with a little less system conflict or other issue.

I yet to discover any bugs in it, i've malware it up pretty heavy at times and stayed up as long as possible then after closing/reboot, there is simply no trails to be found. Nothing whatsoever is subverted or slipped thru Power Shadow's containment field. I probably place a lot more of that type of demands on these then others do so i'm relatively confident at this point that it's a sure bet this appy is a winner.

16. Franklin

I have to agree Easter.

Have downloaded and tried out a few other browsers in powershadow but none were as good as FF.

Also tried a few other apps that I knew were crappy but I just wanted to and not a trace remains after rebooting.

No conflicts with ghost imaging,no slowdowns and too easy to use.

And free! Ahh, that always makes me bias towards an app.;)

Definate keeper here and have installed it on a coupla spare drives I have as backups.
    :thumb:

17. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I went on a downloading binge yesterday evening and today. No malware as far as I know, but some pretty large programs that I wanted to look at and try. Had PowerShadow up all day messing with this and that software. Just a few minutes ago, I rebooted and every single thing is gone which is just what I hoped. Nothing in registry, no traces anywhere.

I imagine I could have done the same thing with BufferZone, Sandboxie or one of the other similar programs but for whatever reason, powershadow just feels safer. Hard to explain exactly what I mean. It's staying on my computer, along with Sandboxie which I use sometimes when I'm just visiting forums, because I like it, too.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Nope :) And you don't have to be wary of any either.

Chuck57, before i started in this offending files/programs research business i must say that i found programs, and quite a few of them presented as much if not more problems then malware for me.

Nothing is more worse than downloading and trying out a program (whatever), only to discover either no uninstaller, or uninstall log not found (cleaners can wipe those sometimes depending on the directory/folder their in), or it's just poorly tested or barely at all and causes all sorts of system problems etc.

That used to happen with me and then had to resort to XP system restore at the very least. That was before these shadowing sandboxes began to appear. They do make a "HUGE" difference AFAIK. lol

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am glad to hear that you guys have discovered the very beautiful side of sandbox/virtualization apps. I can echo your feeling after using this type of application. Your cyber-downtime has dramastically reduced and now you can devote yours for more valuable tasks. I am using DeePFreeze, am a very happy camper. Have a nice one.

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello all

Have been wading through this thread:

Could someone please help: where is the latest current release in English and where is the English help file?

Where is the key?

??

Thx.

21. Espresso

The latest official english version is 2.6. The 2.82 english version is an *unofficial* translation by me. The help file is from v2.6 though. Check your PM.

22. genckartal

genckartal Registered Member

Espresso,
    Can you send me translated files?
    best regards,

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

POWER SHADOW in any flavor is a huge benefit in comparison to shadowing/sandboxes everywhere IMHO.

Nothing fancy or conflicting with it. It does what is expected of it and with the greatest of ease. That includes safely dropping the previous session completely. Tested against many malwares/rootkits on this end with sparkling returns here. Same with program installs to test them as to their worthiness or not.

Nice Program, Great Find, Wonderful World of Shadowing!

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will wait for next english version.
    Does new version still calls home and no option to turn off update notifications?

25. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

At this point in time, shadow mode type software (virtualization) might be the ultimate protection software. Some day I'm sure the malware makers will figure out a way to beat virtualization.

Also at this point in time, PowerShadow is number one in my book. I've looked at a bunch of them in the past week or two, since I can do that now without cluttering up my registry etc, and I've yet to find one I like as well as Powershadow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.