Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I visited the site and picked up the serial number. It's PowerShadow's site. I don't think they'd have it there if it was illegal, and it works.

I downloaded the trial from the site back when I first found the program. Everything worked then. When that computer died a few days ago and I got this one, I got my version from Tucows. I never paid any attention, but think it's the current version. Tucows used to be good at keeping things up to date.

I tried the PowerShadow site first, but the download was incredibly slow this time, like 2k, and that's on broadband.

Either way, latest or slightly older, it's turning into my favorite software. Considering I practice very safe surfing, it's probably overkill. On the other side, considering how much stuff I download and discover by the end of the day that I don't want, it's worth it.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Out of interest. When you are in shadow mode what happens if you save bookmarks. Are they lost when you end the sesssion or do you have to make a point of saving them in a special mode?

4. Chuck57

Bookmarks along with everything else done during a session are gone. I learned that last night when I began re-adding all the bookmarks I had prior to getting this new box. If you download anything, as well, save it to CD or a different partition or drive or it Will disappear when you reboot or shut down.

I had almost all my sites back and bookmarked. Today, when I booted up, they were all gone.

With your browser up, the only thing that tells you that you're in shadow mode is an occasional ripple of the toolbar. When your desktop is showing, it says in red letters 'Single Shadow Mode' at all four corners and the desktop will ripple, like a wave, periodically. I'm using single shadow mode. There are also other modes you can use.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Thought it might do for my Wife but I know I would get hell if she lost her b/m's

6. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I dont have any direct knowledge of Power Shadow,dig05,but i think there's no problem either way:
    if it can save the Favourites/ any other desired file, you just save that directly, otherwise you can employ a removable drive like a pen drive and copy there all the files you want to copy afterwards in your disk.
    Just a few seconds to insert the pen and some more to remove it, no fuss.
    Considering,moreover,the extra large capacity of nowadays medias.

I use shadowSurfer/User and wen i have something to save i use one of my pen drives: Doc.&Settings>'User'>Favourite for IE or
    Doc.&Settings>'User'>ApplicationData>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles
    for Firefox.

Alternatevely,you could use-if your 'shadowing' software ,be it Shadowsurfer /Power or the likes of DeepFreeze etc. dont 'copy' any file-
    a permanent external disk for this, but the former method seems to me
    more 'secure' than having a permanent solution, at least less costly.

Edit- Chuck57 and yourself.djg05,beat me to posting....that's why my post was delayed a few minutes!ahah!

7. Chuck57

I considered asking the wife if she'd like it on her computer. She does graphic art and hangs out in some of those forums, which we discovered are also hiding places for viruses. Since she downloads some stuff, I figured this program would be good for her. She could play with the program and, if she liked it, save it to CD. Thank God for Kaspersky or her computer would be down as much as running.

Warez and gaming sites aren't the only virus traps on the Internet.

8. Chuck57

poirot, we both said the same thing, so at least I know I was right. This whole virtualization thing is brand new to me. I just now checked my second drive and found that a program I downloaded yesterday in shadow mode is still there, so I did it right.

To my understanding, assuming I read the help files correctly, anything to be saved has to be saved to either a second hard drive that is not shadowed, or to an unshadowed partition or a CD or floppy. Power Shadow creates it's own partition (I think) so we don't have to, although I think it also mentions that you can devote a partition exclusively to Powershadow. I didn't, so it makes its own every time I boot up and, when I'm done, it and everything on it is gone.

I think the above is all correct, but I wouldn't quote me on it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Gaming sites have viruses on them? I go to tons of them and I never had any.

10. Chuck57

I talk to a guy on another forum who collects viruses from some gaming site he visits. I also have this computer (brand new) but tested by the builders sons for about a month. They're online gaming fanatics, he says. It had 2 trojans and 11 viruses when I got it, and those are just the ones his antivirus, Trend Micro, missed. That's why I reformatted the whole thing after hours of trying to clean out all the junk. Great machine.......NOW.

Maybe I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like I did. I'll say Some gaming sites are known for viruses. I don't play games, except for MS Flight Simulator, and if I called that a game on any Flight Simulator forum, I'd risk being banned.

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

this is a very nicely program . has any one noticed that if you choose to not remain in power shadow that the time between disengaging power shadow and reboot ones firewall becomes disengaged while still online. Its only a short time however it does happen till the system is rebooted?

12. Espresso

You can move your favorites folder ( and other user profile folders like My documents, music and pictures) to another drive/partition with TweakUI.

Does anyone use junction links with a Powershadowed system? I'd like to keep my Avafind index folder on another volume and create a junction point in the Application data folder instead. Otherwise, it has to rebuild the index whenever I reboot. Powershadow won't protect the target of a junction point will it?

13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

HI Espresso,
    Wondering if the newer version you have offered a link to can save any installed apps that require a reboot?

Such as installing the new Avast AV for a test run in shadow mode but requires a reboot to implement correctly.

14. Espresso

You can't install new apps while in shadow mode. Any installed files/registry settings would be discarded on reboot. You would have to reboot into normal mode, install and then reboot again into normal mode to finish the installation.

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I tell you guys one thing i noticed lately. A lot of developers of these and other Security related programs are producing in addition or exclusively from their paid products, a lot of fully free versions.

SnoopFree comes to mind for me, i remember every time i trialed the Pro version it always caused an issue on my system. I kept reading here at Wilder's where a lot of you relied and spoke highly of it, so i went to the site to see if it had been updated and not only was it updated but now FREE according to it's author. And now this "free" full version (and updated) finally works for me with none of the ill affects experienced before.

Comodo also comes to mind, a FULLY uninhibited feature rich Application/Networking Firewall classified as the Professional version, totally FREE-FOR-LIFE!

I admire this practice not just because vendors offer these free versions as most do anyway now, but they realize that their BRAND offered in this manner, if proven worthy & useful to users will spread the word enmasse and turn attention to either the other products they create & design or else it attracts attention from the big corps who might approach them with a lucrative buy-out offer, thus a win/win situation.

16. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

haha ... u r good ...... :D

17. Franklin

Yes I understand that but for testing an app installed in shadow mode where I don't want to install on my real system.

Such as installing Avast AV requires a reboot to complete the installation.Of course a reboot from shadow mode to shadow mode wipes everything so no chance to try out any apps that require a reboot.

Does the 2.8 version that you PMed me the link to have this feature?

Quote from help files:

18: There is a trial version program installed under PowerShadow mode and the program cannot be used unless it is restarted from the system. However, once I restart the system, it is as if I never install such a program. Any comment?

PowerShadow Version 2.4 is not supportive to this problem yet. We would love to add more trial software functionalities to the future version.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

What can i say, i love what i do and especially while malware is running foolishly silly through it's commands to disrupt and anything else it tries to accomplish, and just think about it, the author who coded then released that crappola is laughing his tail off;

well now so can we. :D

19. Espresso

Franklin, I see your point now but v2.82 isn't capable of that type of operation nor is any other disk shadowing program, AFAIK. Generally, it goes against the purpose of such a util. The quote does imply they are considering adding such a feature so it may appear in a future version. I would recommend doing a disk image with Acronis/Ghost and installing Avast. If you're not deliberately infecting yourself with virii, System restore can get you back to your previous state as well.

Maybe you can start the Avast driver manually and run the program while in Shadow mode. There might be more to it but it's worth a try.

20. Franklin

Thanks for your help Espresso.:)

Downloaded the 2.8 version, overwrote with the English files as per instructions and it's working fine.

Ghost images and clone on a slave are my mainstay backup.

Quite impressed with Powershadow so far.Easy to use and no slowdowns.

Can still test out apps that don't require a reboot.

21. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Seems awfully similiar to 'ShadowUser'. Even the wallpaper is the same. Hmmmmm!:cautious: I sure would like a comment from the 'StorageCraft People'. But anyways, another excellent freebie:thumb:

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Latest English version is 2.6.0511:

I'm very foreign language illiterate so maybe you wouldn't mind describing just how to go about overwriting the chinee files? Sorry if it sounds like an awkward question but the english alphabet is all i'll ever know. LoL

Likewise i'm impressed with it's ease of use and no conflicts but especially fond of it's dumping the session completely with no ill after affects. I have no complaint with Shadowsurfer as-is but there's certainly more to favor with a shadow program that can switch-over to modes like that at will without reboot/resets.

Regards EASTER

23. Chuck57

I have....or had on the old computer .... the free shadowsurfer and had problems with it not rebooting out of shadow mode. That's when I went hunting and found Powershadow. It hasn't messed up yet.

No slowdowns, no refusing to reboot or turn off at the end of the day. And, moving downloads to my other hard drive is as easy as cut and paste, which I do rather than download another program.

It's a nice program and I like the fact that you only have the single reboot at the end of the session rather than having to do it at start too.

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Likewise :)

I experienced the same problem. At first i thought it might only be some glitch but no matter what Shadowsurfer refused to come out of the Shadow-Mode each reboot. Sometimes i needed to reboot a second time because the screen hung up just before trying to enter the GUI.

That was becoming nonsense of course and a good way to turn a sour look at that program after it appeared so promising for awhile.

I did finally discover the workaround by uninstalling it while in Shadow-Mode after killing the 2 processes in Task Manager. I used APT Kernel Kill to do it. Next reboot, guess what? It was still there only this time was out of shadow and back into normal screen mode. I didn't want to be burden with having to resort to that workaround everytime i used SS so that's why i find Power Shadow immensely appealing. No issues, no conflicts, easy to switch-over, and best of all no staying stuck in Shadow-Mode.

Looks like this one is a sure replacement for SS.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s nice. But during hadow mode I my system will refuse to hibernate. That,s not good. Otherwise very nice.

I wonder does it play with MBR?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.