Potentially unsafe applications

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Sacles, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

Can you explain me why "Potentially unsafe applications" is not enabled by default?

Is safety increased if it is checked this option at all locations? Is it advisable?

My PC is not part of a network. I have a direct connection to Internet.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

I originally mispoke. This question has been asked beofore and answered you can see that here.

3. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Potentially unsafe applications cannot be enabled at installation, but you can enable that by entering advanced setup

Potentially unsafe applications is the name designed for legitimate applications such as remote admin tools
    when your ESET solution detect these applications, it ask for action, also you can exclude that application

4. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Thanks for your replies.

A rogue is it considered as a potentially unwanted application or an unsafe application?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Potentially unwanted app or adware, it depends.

6. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

I'm talking about rogues because of this test (in French) ESET Smart Security is very bad side because of the installation of several rogues without reaction ESET: http://peghorse.com/blog/?cat=122

On this page (in French), ESET Smart Security is ranked in the worst of all protection software: http://peghorse.com/blog/

I do not take that seriously but these tests are a very bad advertisement for ESET.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Note that the videos are from 2009. Seems that quite a lot of stuff was detected and blocked in the short test. One should also take into account that since 2009, detection has been improved even more and I dare to say that ESET is one of a few security programs that detect rogue sw proactively or add detection for them shortly after new variants are discovered.

8. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

However, I find it outrageous that Peghorse has definitive judgments on the products he discovered very clumsily without trying to really understand the software.
    Note that during the test, the ESET icon is constantly orange because the product is not in maximum security.

9. PegHorse

PegHorse Registered Member

Hi !
    Yes its me :)

Let me try to explain some things you didn't see because all my doing is French only.

Yes, my judgement are always definitive when the computer is severly damaged in the end, and its same treatment for all softwares.

Please note, i'm not fan of any security software.
    I test it and see the results with all threats possibles, if the security software is down, or the threats have bypassed the protection, then its a failure.

Yes that video is from 2009 but, Eset didn't make major official version.
    Soon, the 5.0 will be out and i will review it again.

Softwares are not classed are neither bad, neither good, but the computer is still alive after all.

If Eset is orange, i don't remember why, but i think its because it has been disabled by malwares, but unfortunately, the end of my last part of video is missing due to software encoder problem and i have removed my project too fast.
    Plus, in 2009, i was starting the project for the first time.

Today we are in 2011, i have made much progress and when the softwares will be updated, so be my tests too.

Sorry for bad English but my primary language is French :)

10. NoobStick

NoobStick Guest

Hello PegHorse

When you are so lucky to get a orange Icon ;) then it may also mean that ESET security product notifies you, when there are Windows updates available for your operating system, or as you alredy know one or more of the recommended or default protection features is disabled or not functioning correctly.

Best Regards and take care

NoobStick.

11. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

If you had a problem during the test, without knowing the cause, then why allow yourself the results that are probably wrong?

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

13. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

agoretsky, thanks for the paper "Problematic, Unloved and Argumentative: What is a potentially unwanted application (PUA)?.

I do not understand why during the installation of NOD32 (or Smart Security), ESET only allows to choose to enable protection against potentially unwanted applications and not against potentially unsafe applications.

14. agoretsky

Hello,

A couple of reasons might be that it may be confusing to some customers and needlessly prevent them from running tools they have already decided are safe to use in their environments.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Personally, I have activated the protection for both types of applications in each setting of NOD32.

In my case, I think that the protection is better with these settings activated.

16. agoretsky

Hello,

I enable both of them on all machines that I administer, too. But I can see how it would be problematic for a system administrator who might be using a potentially unsafe application to manage a few hundred or thousand workstations suddenly have his remote management tool quarantined because it was enabled by default.

While most companies are good about testing software before deploying it, there are some who don't have good test environments, and I would hate to see a customer experience hours of downtime due to something like that. I think it is best to let the customer make the decision after carefully vetting the software to make sure no problems occur with the software loads they use for their environments.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.