Possibility to rescue data from damaged Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anzensepp1987, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anzensepp1987

anzensepp1987 Registered Member

Hello you!
    I got a big problem! I'm using ACRONIS TI 7 and wanted now do recover some data from an Image because of a system-crash..
    But now TI tells me, that the image is damaged...
    Now I have to know, is there any possibility to get my data back?
    It is very important!!! Hope you can help me soon!
    THX a lot in advance

Regards

2. MTX

MTX Registered Member

To browse and restore individual files, Acronis True Image can connect images as virtual drives, thus letting you access them as though they were a physical drive.

This means that:
    • A new disk with its own letter will appear in the drives list
    • Using Windows Explorer and other file managers, you will be able to see image files as if they were located on a physical disk or partition
    • You’ll be able to find necessary files or folders in order to copy them from the virtual disk to the real one

The connected virtual drive will be read-only and you won’t be able to change anything within it.

3. MTX

MTX Registered Member

Use Explore Image to connect an image as a virtual disk and click Next in the first wizard window.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  4. anzensepp1987

i know how it runs, but the image is damaged...

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There is no utility to repair a corrupt image. You might try the trial version of TI10 to see if it might mount and read it OK. Odds are slim but I don't see what else you can try.

6. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Your crash, software crash or hardware crash?

Your archive image, where is it located? External drive? DVDs? Separate partition, such as Acronis Secure Zone?

How are you initiating the Restore, Acronis Rescue CD, BartPE with TrueImage plugin CD or within your Windows OS?

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As far as I know, there's no way to restore data from a damaged backup file.

BUT!

Just because the file won't validate with the Recovery CD, doesn't guarantee that the image is damaged. It may still be readable from within Windows.

Where is the file? Sometimes if you copy a file from DVDs, CDs or external hard drives back to an internal hard drive it can then be validated by TrueImage and data recovered. That has to do with problems in the Linux (Recovery CD) environment reading optical disks or external drives.

So, do't delete the backup until you have tested it as described above.

You didn't say whether the crash was a dead hard drive that can no longer be read or a logical crash such as by a virus or spyware or bad installation. If the hard drive is dead, then TrueImage can't help, and you need professional data recovery starting at $1,000.

However, if the drive can still be read even if it won't boot, you may be able to make a new image of the drive using the TI Recovery CD and recover individual data files from that image.

You could also remove the hard drive from the computer and install it on a second computer either internally or in an external hard drive box and try to recover data that way.

If you don't have access to a second computer to test the disk on, then remove it and install a new hard drive in your computer. That will cost less than $100. Reinstall Windows on the new drive or use the OEM recovery disks. Now you have a working computer and can check the old hard disk by mounting it internally or putting it in an external drive box.

Until you are absolutely certain that nothing is going to work, do not delete or move the image that you have and do not write anything to the hard drive such as by trying to reinstall Windows. Your data may still be safe.

8. anzensepp1987

Hello again!
    Thank you very much for your help!!
    btw my crash was a software forced crash.. I`ve tried to read out the data in a running system, but that also didn´t run..
    My images are on a extern HD and the data were also extracted on this extern disk few days ago... I think Iwill start now a OO-Recovery or sth. like that. That must run.. and btw. I think I will also survive without the lost data...

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.