Ports question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nikheff, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikheff

nikheff Registered Member

Hello all--

Am using XP Pro with all SP1 updates (haven't installed SP2 yet), Zone Alarm Pro, a bunch of other security programs (inc. NOD32), and just installed Trojan Hunter because of a new trojan found on my pc last night (it got on my system in the space of one day!).

In looking at the ports in Trojan Hunter's Netstat Viewer, I'm seeing the following and wondering if they should be there (in addition to my Comcast IP address):

TCP--0.0.0.0:135, listening
    TCP--0.0.0.0:445, listening
    TCP--0.0.0.0:1030, listening
    UDP--0.0.0.0:445, listening
    UDP--0.0.0.0:500, listening
    UDP--0.0.0.0:1026, listening
    UDP--0.0.0.0:1037, listening
    UDP--0.0.0.0:1043, listening
    UDP--127.0.0.1:123, listening
    UDP--127.0.0.1:1141,listening

Should these be there, and how do I find out who/what they are? And if they should not be there, should I kill the connection from Trojan Hunter?

Also, is there a post somewhere on Wilders (I thought I read a couple of weeks ago) about what ports should not be open? Of course, I can't find that thread now!

Thanks for any help

Nikki

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Follow this link to see a list of common ports and what they are used for.

I've found DCS's Port Explorer very handy in these situations. With that app you can actually monitor (document) activity to/from a specific port and then go back and see what is being transmitted. It will also allow you to restrict the bandwidth used by any port. Give it a try. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.