Port Scanned

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Sword, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sword

Sword Guest

I have been getting port scanned by a certain IP Address. Since I enjoy TDS I did a target host resolve all the way to a successful ping of the guy. When I went to do an ICMP Trace on the guy I got the reply - "ERROR Destination net unreachable."
    Question: Is this a polite way of saying don't try to go any farther?
    Is it a gov't agency? Is it a foreign gov't agency or bad guy?
    The scan occured while I was involved in a public discussion, but it is not the first time this person has scanned me. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

This message can be sent purposefully by the target of the scan.
    If the IP is alive, and it should be since it scan you, then just replace :

1 . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    2 . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    [...]
    15 . * * *

by

1 . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    2 . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    [...]
    15 . IP (your guy)

I don't think any government would be interested by you, unless you have secret information on your comp ;)

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Sword, did you try a Whois on the person?
    Or paste the IP address in the UDP Broadcast and send some nice message through one of their open ports (to know that paste the IP in the Target Host display and do some stuff from the plugins list, some to find open ports, among others (i have a real innocent look on my face this moment, did you notice?)
    Destination unreachable can be a proxy, firewall setting, not on line....
    Tracerout will show you if there is indeed no connection, paste the IP in the browser and see if you can connect, or the IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 for the normal http port 80, and so there are so many more tools in the network and plugin area to start with.

My greatest dream in this field would be a script locating and activating their msagent on their system and popping up with a nice message like "Hello ma'am, would you like a freshly squeezed orange juice from recycled electrons with that port scan?"
    But only if you're sure to have the right computer!

You can resolve their DNS, with the SMTP you might be lucky creating an email (see plugins) ipnummer@theirdomein and trying their mailserver, might be mail.domain or smtp.domain if those don't work you could use your own smtp server, you can put their IP in google and try if it is known, connected to any email or posting in newsgroups, a name, anything. So much you can try........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.