Port Scan Attack

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by xxJackxx, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is the most oversensitive firewall yet. If I pick to allow sharing for a network I expect to be able to. Every machine I try to connect to I get a Port Scan Attack warning and the file transfer stops. I find it excessive to have to set exclusions after having already selected to allow sharing. I want to like this product but the firewall is the thing that always drives me away... :doubt:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you set your network as Trusted

3. xxJackxx

I have not added it to the trusted zone, if that is what you are asking. One would expect that when ESS asks me to allow sharing on first connecting to the network that it should do that. Or prompt if I want to allow communication with the supposed attacking machine as it happens. I just installed the RC on this machine yesterday so I have it in learning mode. I am thinking that v3 used to ask if I wanted to allow individual connections to other machines on the network. It would be nice if they brought that back. But even v4 and v5 did not give me an issue on this particular network. All ports scans are not attacks. It is normal communication on a Windows network when exchanging files.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yeah I agree it is kind of a pain. I recently went from ESS to just using NOD32 because of this.

5. xxJackxx

If advanced users find this painful nobody else is going to be able to use it. I cannot see my parents using this product. They could never figure out how. Again, I want to like this product, but the firewall needs to have better configuration options.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I don't think it would be safe to allow port scan and other attacks within the Trusted zone by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.