Port Explorer.exe stopped by csrss.exe

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by MEGAFREAK, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEGAFREAK

MEGAFREAK Registered Member

Hi There,

recently I saw a new version of Port Explorer Demo, tried to install(worked) and to start the port explorer.exe, but starting did not work. Because of some forensic research I found Antihook, installed and it revealed that csrss.exe has a loop routine to terminate port explorer.exe, for a short time Port Explorer worked but after some reboots Antihook wasn´t capable to maintain the port explorer.exe protection. (Antihook has some leaks in protecting processes I noticed, but nevertheless a really great tool, also because it was the only tool that revealed the csrss kill routine)
    Then I tried to start Port Explorer several times and the PC slowed down totally 90% CPU, about 5 Port Explorer.exe´s found in Taskmgr, the whole PC was nearly freezed because of this phenomenon.

Some days later I decided to reinstall Win XP Pro Sp2, but the same again.
    VICE does not work, but fu -pl (good process lister) found a 10 digit pid with empty cases, could that be a bios/mbr/acpi rootkit?

Another question for Pros: the comctl32.dll Hook in several win application like regedit, does that mean a normal behaviour?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.