Port Explorer Error

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by rerun2, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Not sure if this is just an isolated incident, but upon opening Port Explorer I receive the following error.

00418B61 mov eax,dword ptr [eax+0Ch]

Is it making a reference to an error generated when moving the dword pointer to the eax register?

Using Port Explorer 1.800 with Win2k SP4

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• pe.jpg
      pe.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi there rerun, thanks very much for the feedback. So you're getting this simply by starting Port Explorer? Are you a registered user, or is this the shareware/demo version?
    We've never had any reports of this before and the latest version has been available for quite a while now so this is quite a strange one, which may suggest that it may have something to do with whatever else you have running on your system - could you kindly try closing all programs (including security-related processes) and then seeing if Port Explorer will start? That would help to indicate if it was another program or not doing the damage. We'll get back to you later today (currently 2:40am Monday morning here) with more.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Rerun,
    is this the first time you try to run PE or has it been running correct before?
    I see the "debug" remark, are you running a debugger? PE hates them and could refuse to run at all till you closed that debugger.
    Oops, seeing Wayne awake to answer you in the meantime, see my questions as additional ones please.

4. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I am a registered user, and the error only appears when I start PortExplorer. Another strange thing is that PortExplorer was working fine just the other day. Up till now, I dont think I have received any such errors since the very "early" days of PortExplorer. I will definitely try closing all my background programs and see how it goes. Thanks again for the very prompt replies.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In Internet Explorer in the advanced page are also a few options to disable like showing you errors on a site and debugging them: i am not wasting my time on other people's sites and i can't do nothing about and i would seldom get a nice reply if i would send them such debugging reports, so uncheck those two and no debugger is started and adding itself to the autostart and causing problems with PE.
    Hope your system digging brings you further with this!
    As you've been using it successfully all other times you might remember what was different this time!
    BHope its' allright since!

6. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Thank you Jooske, I also usually disable debugging options in "internet options."

I do have a copy of MS Visual Studio installed from school which my brother uses. But I dont think that is the problem. Mainly because I had it installed before PortExplorer, and PortExplorer was working just fine the other day. In the past I have never had problems with the 2 either.

I have also tried shutting down all my programs in the systray but that did not help either. I believe the only things running were sound/video card drivers and the usual system processes. None of which i had problems with before. And lastly I tried booting into safe mode; but it was taking a looong time and there were no signs of hard drive activity... so i gave up, and will try again when I have more patience ;)

Im pretty sure an uninstall and reinstall of PE will do the trick but just thought I would throw it out here, in case it might be something that is worth looking more into. It is a relatively clean install of 2k Pro as well.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sometimes a normal reboot will help?
    Could be some program was hanging and causing problems, but hard to find out which now of course.
    When i close a lot and look in the task manager sometimes i still see programs i thought were closed already. Didn't TDS Process List show any processes you thought being closed already?
    Maybe the system just had a hickup, so the reboot should help.
    Is it still not ok at the moment after the reboot?

Doesn't VB and Visual Studio have a debugging function included when you edit with that which might not have been closed after closing the program? Did you use VS before when PE was up without any problems?

8. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

At first I thought I needed a reboot too, but that did not seem to solve the problem either. I also checked pretty closely the processes running after I shut down the programs in the systray. They were pretty much just drivers and things for my video/sound card and system processes. I did have VS installed before the error appeared, and have not used VS in between the time PE was working and not working. But perhaps it is time to look in the direction of an uninstall/reinstall. Are there any added directions to make sure my uninstall/reinstall of PE goes smoothly? Should i just use the uninstaller, reboot, and reinstall? Usually that is what I do, and then maybe look things over with jv16, but I think this would be a good time to make sure that I do things right to avoid this error :)

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'd wait with that and do first some more research, but if
    you need to:
    I prefer for PE to use the own uninstall from the PE directory. It will first unregister the dll and lead you through with questions, delete the capture.bin and reboot, look if the dll has gone indeed and install PE.
    Make sure you have no av/at running or watching or guarding anyhow during the install.
    Reboot and run the program.

Did you look for any kind of debugger in the autostart and process list? As the error is mentioning it. What happened when you press cancel so the debugger would be started?
    It would show up in the process list so you know finally which program it is! So you can kill the process and look if it is in the autostart, might be windows own MDM.exe, anyway then you can stop that and try to run PE normally.
    We also posted a few times that LSPfix program, http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm , run it for possible fixes and start PE.
    All this before going to a possible reinstall.

10. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

When I press cancel that is when VS opens up and makes reference to... 00418B61 mov eax,dword ptr [eax+0Ch] . Nothing else really appears abnormal, and I haven't found anything different in my process list. More than likely this is just an isolated incident involving my setup. I will try an uninstall/reinstall. Thanks again Jooske for your time and patience.

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome! So we're round the circle, the VS debugger function: can you open VS and see if there is any debugging setting which can be changed?
    As PE is protected against debugging you would surely get an error when it is tried.

Think the reinstall if the LSPfix didn't help either (think now even more to try that little thing, very handy to get it on your system to check/fix this!)

It is just strange if things first worked ok, and now are mixed up. Hope there are no more other mixes!
    Let us know how it goes!

12. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Reinstall/uninstall went great and PE is working as usual. Only had to remove a couple of reg entries after. Im once again a very happy user of Port Explorer :)

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Congratulations, glad it works great for you again! I'm no single moment without it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.