Popup on USB insertion?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Director, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Director

Director Registered Member

I was paying on someone else's machine the other who had kaspersky on it. When a USB or external drive was plugged in Kaspersky would produce a popup (not the windows auto-play thing) prompting for a scan of the USB. Does Eset have this feature and how do I turn it on?

Thanks

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

USB drives have large capacity, up to 1,5 TB or even more. Would such a feature be of a benefit if the user had to wait several hours to finish the scan? Instead, ESET scans all files executed from removable media with maximum settings.

3. Director

Director Registered Member

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, I wasn't after an option to automatically SCAN any drive that gets plugged in, just a popup to give me the CHOICE of whether to scan or not without having to go into windows explorer or ESET as a separate action. I've also noticed that not all viruses come in executables.

So I guess there's no option for this then?

Thanks

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I don't there is similar feature, Eset just scans it

5. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I can do the same, right-clicking the USB drive icon and then "clean files" option. :thumb:
    This is one more reason why other products are slow, because that feature is unnecessary, typical of bloatware (inflated software), :gack:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As the software is continually being developed, we'll consider incorporating such a feature into future versions. Of course, there will be some limitations as scanning of extremely large amount of data might take hours or even a day.

7. toxinon12345

Thanks for informing that, Marcos :)

For some users, this does not represent a difference, perhaps a facility. For other users, this will be useful, since such notification will remind the importance of reviewing the security level and therefore interact with the software, and what this might mean for an improvement in Detection Rates ;)

So, if the discussion group finally approves the incorporation of features of this type, please consider adding an option to disable it. (Would be upset that a notification appear every time I connect USB devices, as I prefer to do it manually)

8. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

A good choice is to disable autorun.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay.
    Uncheck
    Use Autoplay for all devices and Click Save.

Or...
    gpedit.msc
    You will see the Group Policy window. You should select Administrative Templates \ Windows Components in the tree view.
    Select AutoPlay Policies.
    In the right panel, Turn off Autoplay, doble click.
    On that window click on the “Enabled” option to disable the auto play feature of Windows.
    Apply, Ok.
    It'll disable USB and DVD Auturun.

Regards.

9. toxinon12345

Autorun is a risk because it can point to a malware binary or similar.
    But what about the rest of the files stored on the USB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.