Popup alert when downloading.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by sosaiso, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I may have at one point accidentally unclicked the "Alert whenever downloading these type of files" prompt. [I know this description is vague. I'm talking about the prompt that Microsoft implemented in SP2 that asks you if you want to "Save" "Open" or "Cancel" when downloading different types of files like zip and exe.]

How would I go about resetting this so that I will be alerted everytime I click on a download? [Useless feature to most, but it makes me feel safe.]

Thanks!

2. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I know what you're talking about. I don't know where this option can be found in IE but Firefox is very configurable in this respect.

3. sosaiso

That is most true. I sometimes think it's a conspiracy by Microsoft to hide all of its security features into the most obscure areas, just so other companies can create programs that can be like: "Hey, pay for and use this. Much easier to configure than M$", and then cut back part of the profits back to Microsoft.

That's it to my ranting. Still finding no way to reset this feature.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

5. sosaiso

Thanks Bubba.

But I do get the screen that asks where I want to save it... I just don't get a screen before that screen that asks what I want to do, open, save, or cancel. After reading a few related links I saw that I have to play with the registry, something I do not want to do. I guess I'll just leave it be. Thanks tho!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.