Pop-up Stopper AS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mikel108, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

WOW. This "Pop-Up Stopper Anti-Spyware" replaces
    - Adblock extension in Firefox
    - MSAS, Ad-Aware, Spybot and CounterSpy, Spy Sweeper (if I had these)
    - CCleaner
    SIX complete protections for only $29.95.

Do I have to believe this or not ?

3. mikel108

I just found out that they have apparently split this product apart. They now have an AS named Drivehound (I will post some full screenies and review later). They sell a cleanup tool that has an AS in it. They also now sell SpySweeper.

www.panicware.com

I did find one unusual result. I had just been looking at Acronis tooo_O

Attached Files:

4. mikel108

This program uses around 10MB of RAM while running resident. However you have to send it to tray...and it never finds anything running resisent:doubt: . I minimised it during scan and all my icons on the desktop flickered quickly. When I shut the PC off the program would have to be ended with end task in order for the PC to complete shutdown.

Here is a screenshot of supposedly setting proactive scanning......

Attached Files:

• DH3.jpg
      DH3.jpg
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
  5. mikel108

Here is the main screen. I uninstalled this program just before posting this mini review. It was a complete waste of time. I don't know if I would even use this program for free in its current state.

Attached Files:

• DH1.jpg
      DH1.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
  6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i thought pop-up stopper stopped pop-ups not ads and vice versa for adblock.

7. ErikAlbert

I could be wrong, but the expression popup is for me a general name for any window that popups.
    Ads are often popup windows. ZoneAlarm has also popup-windows to warn me. Technically I don't see any difference. Only the contents/layout is different.

Maybe you better explain to me what you consider as popup, that need to be stopped.
    I'm always willing to learn something new. :)

8. But ads are not always popups! Ad banners are not popups. Ad frames are not popups. etc etc

9. ErikAlbert

I never said that ads are always popups, so you only confirm what I've said already.
    It's about popups, not banners or frames, I know these too. :)

10. I'm not confirming what you said. I'm clarifying what you said. What you consider ads is not the point, the point is how the different methods go about blocking them.

Traditionally Popups are spawned by scripts (javascript 99%), popup blockers 'hook' on to browsers watching thse javascript actions and are ready to stop or bypass actions that look like an unrequested popups.

As such for most popup blockers they don't care about content.

Most adblockers and hosts files, work however on content, by blocking content from ad domains.

I'm really responding to Wsfuser's question of the following

That is correct. Adblock or hosts files might 'block' popups incidently, but by and large, the popup is spawned by javascript from the main host site.....So the popup occurs but the content in the popup does not load.

11. ErikAlbert

iwhoknownothing,
    OK. Thanks for the explanation.
    I don't consider popups, whatever the contents maybe, as a problem anymore since I use the firefox extensions Adblock and NoScript.
    I never saw a popup again after installing both extensions.
    So threats caused by scripts don't have a chance anymore on my PC.
    NoScript allows me to enable javascript temporarily for one trusted website, if I really need it.
    Once I start using ShadowUser, I wonder if I still need Adblock and NoScript.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.