Pop Up Prompt 'Do You Want To Turn Autocomplete On?'

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ArthurLee, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArthurLee

ArthurLee Registered Member

Jun 4, 2004

I use Internet Explorer 7 and my operating system is Windows XP.

Everything's been fine until a month ago that strangely coincided with one of those automatic Security Windows Pack installations. Initially there were a few of my customized settings that had reverted to defaults (eg my saved cookies had gone in my CCleaner and Tune-Up Utility). But the main annoyance was that Autocomplete had been enabled. I hate this as I think it compromises security, especially with passwords. Anyway, I have so far:

Unchecked the 3 items in Tools>Internet Options>Content>Autocomplete Settings. ie Web Addresses, Forms, User Names and Passwords.

Unchecked the 'Use Inline Autocomplete' box in Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing.

Downloaded TweakUI from Windows Powertoys and unchecked the Enable Autocomplete Box under Common Dialogues.

Looked on the Internet for a registry fix and went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Autocomplete>REG_DWORD but didn't understand how to change values that would perhaps disable any Autocomplete prompt.

However, every so often, when I'm typing into a Google search or the 'Run' command or any other application requiring data input, I have the annoying animated pop up 'Do you want to turn autocomplete On'? Well, erm, no I don't! :eek:

Please help me. It's not major but it's doing my head in! o_O

Any suggestions much appreciated - and I did do a search on all Forums about my problem but no topics addressed my particular concern.

2. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Hi ArthurLee,
    Also: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.