Policy-based mode

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by guest, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

There is something I don't understand.

I use ESS firewall in the policy-based mode, and I disable every rule I don't use on the list. But I don't see the point of the blocking rules... I mean, the policy based mode is supposed to block everything that I don't have a rule for! Then why having blocking rules?...

The same for the 2 block all unknown inbound and outbound traffic... I disabled them in the policy-based mode and the firewall is still blocking everything as it should...

Thanks for your help

Alex

2. guest

guest Guest

Anyone?...

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No idea never used policy mode. Why don't you just delete the rules? Do the ask for internet access?

4. guest

guest Guest

Those are "system rules" that can't be deleted. I don't really understand why it is like this, but I do understand how it works.

In policy-based mode, if there is no rule, the communication is denied. But there is general rules that are set to block unknown traffic...

With the rules, in the log, it says : communication denied by rule.

When there's no rule, it says, no usable rule found... but it is still blocked...

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The ones that can't be deleted are default rules and aren't based via policy. I wouldn't worry about them.

6. guest

guest Guest

You can't delete them but you can disable them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.