Plugins

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by GA, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA

GA Registered Member

I really like MRU-Blaster and use it regularly. But the plugin for removal of the index.dat does not do a thorough job of eliminating url's visited on my pc. Whether I run it separately or when I run it with MRU-Blaster; after re-starting my pc, the index.dat info seems to still be there. I check it and remove the remaining files with Spider. I run Win XP pro with TPF 4.5. Thanks. GA

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

When running the Temporary Internet Files Cleaner plug-in, the index.dat cleaning will be enabled. This cleaning is activated, on reboot, for the user profile that used MRU-Blaster last. Any other index.dat files will not be cleaned until MRU-Blaster is used in those profiles.

After the plug-in deletes the file, Windows rebuilds it to 32kb with random "filler" data. Could this be what you are seeing? What is the size of the index.dat file after it is (hopefully) cleaned by the plug-in? TIA.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. GA

GA Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm talking about my user profile and the list of actual URLs that I visited. After using the IE plugin and rebooting, I can use Spider to scan all the index.dat files. It will bring up a list of URLs that I had visited. It searches four different areas for the files. D&S\cookies\index.dat, D&S\Local settings\History\History.ie5\index.dat,D&S\Local settings\History.ie5\MSHist012003021320030214\index.dat,D&S\Local settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.ie5\index.dat. Does your program search the same ones?
    Actually no other program that I have tried finds as many URLs as Spider. I'm surprised considering how old it is. I really like the idea of being able to securely delete these files with your program (especially with some of the places my teenage kids and their friends check out occasionally).
    As to the size of the index.dat, I have never really checked. I just scan it with spider and read through the urls and when I see pages that I know I have visited, I know that not all were eradicated. When I remove them with Spider and reboot, rescan, all known URLs are gone.
    Thanks again. GA

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Ah - the cleaning plug-in will only get the cookie index.dat file if you have the CookieBlaster plug-in configured and enabled, and the Temporary Internet Files index.dat if you have the IE Temporary Internet Files Cleaner plug-in enabled.

Currently, MRU-Blaster does not support cleaning of the History or the History index.dat file (which is probably where you are seeing these entries).

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. GA

GA Registered Member

Yes it is the history index.dat files that I am seeing.
    Thanks for the info and for your excellent programs.
    GA

6. F1

F1 Guest

I have found Using a Ram Disk to get rid of several cleaning problems
    Im using AR Ramdisk on Win 2000 Pro
    32 MB Ram Disk on Drive Letter X:
    Move your Temp Internet Files there
    and any other temp files that you can configure to
    use in other than the default Location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.