Please Implement a real Update Process!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Frankvg, May 6, 2015.

1. Frankvg

Frankvg Registered Member

Great product, but I must say the update process is needlessly complex and cumbersome. Why not check when the program runs, and if an update is available have it accessible from within the program and install without any prompts. Also perhaps move off of Installshield with 1990's era 16-color icons.

Here's the painful process of doing an update:
    1. Wait for email announcing update and hope it didn't go to spam
    2. Requires going to Paragon website
    3. Have to find username and password and log in
    4. Get to spot where a long list of files and options – why not just show or highlight the update?
    5. Why have both 32/64 bit versions? – would be far better to have the installer detect and install the correct version.
    6. Sends email – why extra cumbersome step – just allow a download from site.
    7. Wait for email
    8. Download update.
    9. Run download, update will not install – requires uninstalling existing copy. This is really poorly designed installer that can’t do this step.
    10. Go to control panel, programs, find on long list and Uninstall
    11. Find download and install
    12. Requires product key and serial again – you've got to be kidding!
    The update is worth it, if only to have built-in help. Again - great product, but would be made better with an entirely new install/update process.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I agree, although don´t know what you are referring to in steps 6 and 7. I download the update directly from My Account page.

Also, in the past no e-mail announcing the update was sent, although the practice may have changed. You had to visit the account page from time to time to check for updates. And I have never seen a proper Paragon changelog.

On the other hand, some people may like the fact that the installers of all previous registered products are permanently available for download, even several years after they were released. In my account there are downloads from 2005 listed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.