Please help, something is seriously wrong

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by the_dark_sarge, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_dark_sarge

the_dark_sarge Registered Member

Hi,
    well something is really wrong,
    see i am the admin on this computer, but i cant access the control panel anymore, it has disappeared, and when i run control.exe it still doesnt work, say cant access not enough priveleges, contact admin, but i am admin

If i open in safe mode and go to the windows admin account the control panel works, and its says that my account is admin so i dont know whats going on

Its a reasonably good computer and i brought it first hand so there no way someone else has changed it before hand

I have scanned for viruses etc but cant find anything

please help
    thanks you,
    kieran

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Kieran, welcome to Wilders!

Is there a pop-up window telling you to buy/download a security application? If yes, you definitely have a rogueware infection. Download and install SuperAntiSpyware Free. Update it and then scan. If you problems updating online, download the latest definitions here and update manually.

The starter of this thread has the same problem. Like him, try posting a hijackthis log here.

thanatos

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  3. Chato

Chato Registered Member

Is it only the control panel you cannot acces? How are the other 'Admin-privileges'?

If it is only the control panel you can't access, use your Windows Explorer, open C:Windows\System32, look for 'control.exe'.

If 'control.exe' isn't present in C:\windows\system32 you can download the control.exe from here (Note: This is a direct download-link!)
    After downloading, unzip it first into the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache (overwriting any existing copy), then into the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32.
    Then reboot your computer.

Also you can take a look at the Userprofiles
    (Rightclick This Computer => Properties => Advanced => UserProfiles -> Settings)
    Do you see something strange? An unknown account?

4. the_dark_sarge

the_dark_sarge Registered Member

Nah its not only the control panel, i also cant change the time, uninstall other programs etc
    umm, when you say right click this computer, where am i right clicking?, (sorry im a bit of a noob)

When i try to unzip the control panel to
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache its says 'control' is password protected?

thanks,
    kieran

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Kieran, I really think you are infected. Please consult an expert. Start a thread regarding your problem here.

Do you have "WinAvXX.exe"? See this forum thread. Do you have the same symptoms?

Try scanning the pc using SuperAntiSpyware Free first.

thanatos

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.