Please help ! Libre office

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Libre office suddenly started to act strangely and I was not able to change the text color.So I decided to uninstall it.I could not uninstall it, it gave error on dependencies.I used ubuntu tweak to downgrade and purge the ppa and uninstalled it.Uninstalled(complete uninstall) it from the synaptic package manager too.Also uninstalled the gnome libre package.But I can not install openoffice.I think there are remains of libre office,because there is still a link for it in the main menu.
    I want to install open office.Help please I have files I need to open.

Ok I managed to remove it completely and installed the open office needed modules :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

What did you do ?

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Opened synaptics package manager and marked for complete removal all the packages which had libre office in them(fonts etc)
    And next I was able to installOpen Office.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, thanks cet. (I wonder whether deborphan would have listed the L.O. orphaned packages - probably not as you make no mention of any packages in Residual Config. in Synaptic.)

Back to Open Office, so have you had some problems with Libre Office ?

5. cet

cet Registered Member

I had already cleaned the orphaned packages but there were more packages to be deleted which had libre office in them in order to completely remove Libre.

6. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Just curious, did you run sudo apt-get update before you did all this?

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, I too would be much obliged if you share what sort of problems you encountered. I use Calc a lot and Writer a bit but haven't had too much difficulty so far.

I did have a couple of problems with the lo menubar extension with Ubuntu 11.10 (Unity 3D)and promptly removed it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/lo-menubar
    >>> lists of bugs

https://bugs.launchpad.net/lo-menubar/ bug/739184
    >>> Keyboard shortcuts to menus do not work

https://bugs.launchpad.net/lo-menubar/ bug/760879
    >>> "Window" menu item is hidden

8. cet

cet Registered Member

Sure I did.I always do it after uninstalling something.

My problems with the Libre office were mainly font functions not working;such as font colors.When I clicked on font color it was stuck at red,I was not able to format or change it.That was annoying.
    Also Open office is faster on my computer.When I copy and paste something from the browser Libre office was not responding(freezing) for 20 seconds,but I do not have that problem witth the OO.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No problem for me with font functions, including colors. But I have had LibO Writer freeze (more often than I like) when I paste stuff copied from a browser. Still, I'm staying with LibO until Apache release a stable OpenOffice and then I'll think about it. Most likely, I'll stay with the suite offered by Ubuntu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.