Please Help! IDE Error #1.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sosaiso, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I was installing something from my cd/dvd drive when my Toshiba laptop went into hibernation mode. [lack of batteries by accident]. Now I knew I should not have taken my chances but I did anyways. [Still kicking myself for that]

At boot up I get an IDE Error 1, and I can't detect my cd/dvd drive or even open up the drive itself. How do I get it back? Any help is appreciated. I really need this cd drive back. I do not know what kind of drive it is, only that the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite series.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I don't know much about Toshibas. But I would try two things. First, I would enter the BIOS and try to get the system to see the drive there. If that did not work, I would unplug the system and pull the battery. Leave the battery out for 30-60 seconds and plug it back in.

3. sosaiso

Thanks Close_Hauled it'll be the first thing I try when I get back.

Does anyone happen to know what key to press to get into the Toshiba BIOS? It doesn't say at the bootup screen.

Now, if say it was due to vibration [I did do a little jog with laptop in hand.], where would I find the plugs and what not to see if they're correctly connected?

Oh, and if it helps any it is a Toshiba A55-S306. DVD/CD-RW combo drive is the drive in question.

Where would I find error logs so I can trace them back to the time of hibernation?

Why couldn't this be a BSOD or something software related? whyyyy must it be hardware? ? ? <end ranting>

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. sosaiso

Thanks ronjor. I will try the BIOS as soon as I get my hands on the laptop again...

So, does anyone know:

What do I do if it is detected in the BIOS and not windows?

Or alternatively, what do I do if it's not detected in the BIOS either?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. sosaiso

It's not showing up in device manager or Windows explorer. Kapput!

Ah thank you for the registry editing. I will try to see if that is the fix as well.

I was just curious as to what exactly Hibernation is... Could the problem be that I was reading from the CD drive when the laptop was forced into hibernation? So there is some "leftover residue" that locks up the cd drive or something? Would forcing the laptop back into a hibernation [aka rewriting an old hibernation file. If hibernation is a file that is] do anything? I am so clueless when it comes to hardware. :T

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. sosaiso

Okay I have checked the BIOS. The DVD/cd-rw drive is detected, and the drive can be opened before the windows boot up. Therefore I do not think it is a hardware problem [aka wiring and what not] but a problem with Windows or OS or something. Does anyone know what steps I can take now?

10. sosaiso

Okay I have tried to uninstall the Primary IDE via Device Manager, and it works. To a point. Next restart, the drive is redetected, but I am told to reboot to get the dvd/cd-rw drive working again. I reboot, and the drive is gone again.

I see that dvd drives do go missing after hibernation on windows 2k, but this is an issue in xp home. Does anyone know where I can find a fix to this issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.