Playing with Cyber Hawk

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A couple of points inasmuch as CH technical folks evidently are watching this thread...

1- I have version 1.2.0.36. I clicked the update link in CH's GUI. It said I have the latest version. However, a previous post in this thread gave notice that version 1.2.0.37 is available. So I went to CH's website & downloaded the update.

TO REPEAT- The update button in CH's GUI did NOT notify of the availability of an update, even though one is available.

ALSO- The FilesForum entry for CH hasn't been updated, either.

2- I was surprised to see that CH doesn't have a support forum as yet. I wonder if they are planning to set one up?

3- On a totally trivial note- I wish the CH icon in the system tray looked a little less like Pacman & a little more like a hawk.

/s/ bellgamin (grouchy old f*rt)

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As I know u can,t download it directly from their site. Am I true?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As they told, they are going to update it to version 1.2.0.39 today.

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

if you click on the download at the novatix site it directs you to download.com where the new 1.2.0.39 is said to be available. however its still the 1.2.0.37 version that is downloaded.

if i had a suggestion it is that i would like to have the choice of launching firefox ,my default browser , rather than ie if i chose to use the console links

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I downloaded just now from download.com and got version 1.2.0.39.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

did you check on the download > properties > version to see what version it really is?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did.

Attached Files:

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Shouldn't the update feature update to this new version, or at least notify us about it?

As I saw on the last time that I tested CH, this program still have some problems with the system stability. My system doesn't run so smoothly when I use it...

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Last time i was not able to run it at all, my system used to freeze and I had to do power reset. This time I have installed it just today. So far it is Ok.

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I've been running it along side AVG Security Suite 7.5 for several days now without any problems or noticable slowdowns. It also loads very quickly when logging on. For my needs I thought about just using Winpatrol Free or Arovax Shield, but Cyberhawk just makes more sense to use because of what it prevents, and especially since the Company is being so active in this Forum and making quick improvements to it. I have version 1.2.0.37 and haven't received or tried the update feature yet as I am not on my PC at the moment. System Restore was accessabalre with this version though, but I am wondering what 1.2.0.39 brings as far as any improvements?

11. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

All very good questions! Hopefully I can clear things up.

1. This last series of several new releases over a short period of time is actually a little atypical. Normally what is supposed to happen is we release a new version and then we activate our automatic update notifications so that all current users learn of the new version. However, since we ended up having several quick releases one after the other (mainly due to issues brought up on this forum) we didn't want to turn on the automatic update notification until we had the final release out. For those currently still on 1.2.0.36 or 1.2.0.37 you should see an update notice a little later today. The update button in the UI will not work until we turn on this functionality. Again, this past week represents rather atypical release cycles for us, so in the future it should be much more streamlined.

Over the next few days you will also see all the other shareware sites updated to reflect the latest version 1.2.0.39.

1.2.0.39 fixes a crash issue and some other minor items such as launching the default browser instead of requiring Internet Explorer.

2. We have considered a forum and may have one at some point in the future. Currently however submitting a ticket to our technicians through our support site will bring a quick response if there's any trouble (quicker even, than posting on this forum).

3. We've had other requests for a different icon and we're considering changes in a future release.

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I just finished to uninstall it...

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just a minor thing. If my dial up is disconnected and I click update, it say u have latest version.

14. Cyberhawk Support

I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with Cyberhawk, VaMPiRiC_CRoW. If you have any specific reproducible situations, we would greatly appreciate it if you would contact our technicians to see if we can help pinpoint what's going on. We really appreciate hearing about any such issues so that we can help address them and make the product better for everyone.

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Uninstall? why?

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I decided to restore my system to before install CH and test it with some programs... Now CH is working better, I will report to you if something not working well with CH.

Becky Dubrow, can you answer the questions that I made on this Topic?

Can the free version of CH will have the option to disable some items that CH check, and define what CH will do for each item?
    This could be useful for power users.

17. Cyberhawk Support

Thanks for giving Cyberhawk another try. Definitely keep us posted on performance.

And thank you for your suggestion for more advanced user controls. We do plan to release a Pro version shortly (hopefully next month) and this type of feature will be included in the Pro version. Unfortunately it will probably not be included in the free version.

Becky Dubrow

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

And about the post #25, of this topic?

And

19. Cyberhawk Support

Hi VaMPiRiC_CRoW--

I refer you to my post 36 where I explain why the update notification was not yet working. We had a bit of an atypical release cycle the past week. However, since that post earlier today we have turned on update notifications, so if you have 1.2.0.36 or .37 installed, and you check for updates now you should see a notice that a new version is available (1.2.0.39).

Regarding your questions on the specific threats tested against, I will ask my colleague Kurt (our Chief Threat Analyst) to respond.

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder about the method CH uses for Keylogger detection and is it a good method. As it is first time I saw any software insatlling a keyboard filter driver on my system.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thansk for the support ;)

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also would like to know, that is why I questioned and said this:

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Playing w/ it? yes I have. And regret it dearly. System hiccups, program hangups, internet connection slowdown, just name few, and the finale= resudue, nothing but residues left behind after deletion. What a way to present a freeware. I have no objection towards vendors putting forward a decent trial freeware, actually , more than happay to see this occurring often. But if vendor's real intention is to perfect its PRO version for later-date release, and use average joe/jane for rabbit-eye testing, it is another matter. I have tried it and my painful conclusion is: to wait their Pro version; just because it is a paidware, more liability, more responsibilty built into it.:D

24. Cyberhawk Support

Sorry you've had so much trouble, Perman. Did you report any of the trouble to our support staff? I can't emphasize enough how important this kind of feedback is to us. The more we hear from our users, the more we'll be able to improve the product.

And I do have to respectfully take issue with your characterization of our product. We always strive to release the highest quality product whether it be freeware or paid. We understand that it is our reputation on the line either way. Of course later versions of the program will always be more advanced than earlier releases and will always incorporate improvements. That's the nice thing about software--it can constantly evolve over time. There aren't many software programs that are 100% perfect out of the gate.

But we understand that we probably won't be able to please all the people, all the time. For those who aren't pleased now, even if you don't contact us directly, please know that we do monitor this forum as well as others and we are constantly working on improving Cyberhawk. We hope that you'll be open to trying out a later release down the road.

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, Becky, thanks for your prompt reply. With your open-minded approach, I am confidence that your product will excel someday. I will try it again at later day. And I do hope it will not disappoint me.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.