ping doesn't work, all packets lost.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RobertD, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertD

RobertD Registered Member

Hi

I'm new to TCPIP and just noticed I can't get wifi next door, and can't reset my IP so the ipconfig only goes to one ip address all the time. Another computer I have has no problem logging in the network. But mine gives a completely different IP address. I try to ping and get nowhere, it seems I'm stuck in a loop and can't get out of it. But I can surf quite well, just don't get any ping or any of the commands in ipconfig to work.

Any suggestions to get the wifi connection going?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved Thread to this Forum for More Exposure.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

If you can surf then you have a route to/from the Internet. Assuming that isn't provided via other means such as a hardwired LAN, you are connected to *something* via wireless and probably an AP/router. Depending on how you have wireless configured on your computer(s) it might only connect to a specific AP/router or it might select the best available one based on signal strength. It never hurts to double check your configuration. Depending on several factors, it is possible for one computer to freely choose one AP/router and another computer right next to it to freely choose a different AP/router. Your wireless status will give you information such as network name/SSID so you can determine what you are connected to.

When a wireless connection is established the computer will (typically) receive (via DHCP) configuration information including its assigned IP Address, the default gateway, and DNS servers. If two computers are connected to the same wireless AP/router you should see each reporting that they are connected to the same SSID, each will have its own (different!) assigned IP Address, and both will have the same default gateway. Assuming no firewall type filtering comes into play, both computers should be able to ping that default gateway. The computers may or may not be able to ping each other depending on whether the AP/router is configured to allow wireless clients to communicate with each other.

Hopefully, something in there helps you to make progress or followup with a narrowed question. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.