Phantom's Rule's and Microsoft Router

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by PikeDude, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PikeDude

PikeDude Registered Member

Hi Phantom,

I've been using your Ruleset 5.0 since it first came out without any problems. I just recently purchased a Microsoft router the MN-100 and it comes with the Microsoft Network Utility that I like. This utility is used to configure the router and whenever I start it up, it always says that i'm not connected to the network and the internet, and yet I can still surf.

I tried to disable the internet filtering in LNS and everything was connected, when I enabled the internet filtering in LNS the network was again disconnected (even though I could still surf).

To not get this error message everytime, I searched for the rules that were preventing the router to connect to the utlity and these two were the ones that once enabled caused no more errors.

1- ICMP: Ping Other (REQ)
    2- ICMP: Ping Other (RSP)

Is there any security risks if I leave these 2 enabled? Am I less secure? or should I (if possible) create other rules that enable the network utility software to connect to the router and leave these two disabled.
    Thanks for your time and help.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey PikeDude

View those two rules Description Info available on http://www.wilderssecurity.info/pg41.shtml. If you have further Questions don’t hesitate to poster…

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.