Phant0m... boom by yay, Phant0m... boom by yay!

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Hi Phant0m,

From what I've read, I have respect for you and I understand the limited time available to you for responses to this (and other) forum threads. However, in this instance I believe your responses would be greatly appreciated by many (He says knowingly;o)) To be honest, I don't want to come across as being sycophantic but from what I've read you seem to know what you're talking about (hence me querying you more). Anyway, enough of that (fawn, fawn) crap, here's my questions (you can slap me around later!):

a) Why do you think LnS is the best firewall ? (if indeed you think that)

b) Do you use LnS as your sole firewall ? (Do you use any others and why ?)

b) I currently use LnS as my sole firewall. Is it necessary to use an IDS as well (eg. Black ICE) ? Does LnS need to be updated to be an IDS, and if so, why am I not protected in the same way as an IDS firewall ?

c) By using your rule-set, am I vulnerable to any known (and possibly unknown attack) ?

d) Lastly, Is there anything else that I should know about ? (ie. vulnerabilities, problems with the protection LnS gives ? You can mail me directly if you consider this a serious threat to LnS. I'd like to know now though)

Regards,
    Defenestration

PS. The title of this post is a homage to Mr Cassius Clay (as I'm sure you'd already guessed)

PPS. I might have the odd question after this post, if you'd be so gracious! (BTW, where are you from ? (just in case I'm in the neighbourhood!))

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Defenestration

A.) Look ‘n’ Stop is superior Personal Firewall, incredibly Lite system resources and no noticeable effect on internet performance also extended controls. And for the most part excellent support, do I need to say more?
    B.) I’ve discontinued the usage of Look ‘n’ Stop for the meantime to be with a Firewall offering very powerful SPI capabilities.
    B.01) IDS are very useful feature that identifies attacks, but like an Anti-Virus system it requires up-to-date signatures. Besides the fact IDS can be quite sensitive at times it can be very useful on systems hosting servers.
    C.) Lets say by using most recent unaltered Phant0m`` Rule-set, you get maximum level protection the Firewall is capable of offering.
    D.) Well I don’t want to be criticizing, but it wouldn’t hurt to share opinions that’ll possibly be heard and re-examined. – Packet Filtering could use some update, - Application Filtering feature could be strengthen by using MD5 checksum, - Also rule-set among its registry settings could use encryption to better protect its users. OK ENOUGH, I don’t want people to think I’m bashing here… :rolleyes:

I’m from Ca. ;)

I hope this is satisfying for you...

3. Defenestration

Thanks for the answers Phant0m. Much appreciated.

B.) I know this is the LnS forum, but may I enquire as to which Firewall you are using ?

B.01) So do you think an IDS should be added to LnS ? (although I suppose this might create too much work for Frederic by having to keep the signatures up-to-date) Also, is IDS really necessary for systems not hosting servers (ie. just simple web browsing) ?

C.) Ahhh... Music to my ears!

D.) No product is ever perfect, and constructive criticism is one of the ways to help it improve.

Frederic - any comments on when/if some of these suggestions might be added to LnS ?

4. wings

wings Registered Member

Defenestration... anyone told you that you're an idiotic attention seeker? :rolleyes:

5. Defenestration

Only people who like me :cool:

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Just because he’s showing interest in the product he’s therefore “idiotic attention seeker”, interesting… :eek:

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

wings,

Please refrain from replies like this. There will be no name calling here.

snowbound

8. jonedeuf

jonedeuf Registered Member

Hi everybody, i'd like to know il PhantOm could give explainations about the Phantoms-Sept-9 rules, for example in a text file, because the links (ie: http://www.wilderssecurity.info/rl20.shtml) are down. Thank you vey much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.