PG3: Windows XP crashes

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by tlu, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

Today I had the first big trouble with PG3:
    I started the application MP3Gain (from http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/) which is a software for normalizing mp3's.
    I loaded a folder on my harddisk in order to normalize the 160 mp3's within. MP3Gain started normally and began to work. But after some seconds the application hung. I tried to close it but that was impossible. Finally I found out that I couldn't start the taskmanager nor the command line - Windows was frozen. There was nothing left than to press the reset button.

After rebooting I started MP3Gain a second time with the same effect - I had to use the reset button again.
    In the event viewer I found the following application error three times:

Fehlgeschlagene Anwendung dcsuserprot.exe, Version 3.0.0.0, fehlgeschlagenes Modul ntdll.dll, Version 5.1.2600.2180, Fehleradresse 0x00011e58.

Sorry to have this only in German but I think it is understandable for all forum members.

I made a third attempt and disabled PG3. Result: MP3Gain worked flawlessly.

Jason - do you have any explanation for this problem?

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'll try mp3gain over here and see if I can find any issues. Was there any alerts regarding it in ProcessGuard?

3. tlu

tlu Guest

No, not at all. The strange thing was that PG didn't even ask me for permission although I hadn't started mp3gain before. (However, there was an error message by PG itself after the reboot. I can't remember exactly what it said. In any case the driver was loaded and PG seemed to work.)
    This is an observation I had made several times before. For example, some days ago I updated a packing program (for zip files) - but although the MD5 checksum must have changed PG3 didn't care about it.

There were other cases where it struck me as rather strange that PG3 didn't ask for permission although I was sure that I hadn't started that application before. On the other hand in some cases PG asked me for permission where it shouldn't have - it seems that sometimes settings are forgotten.

These are isolated cases, so they are not really reproducable for me.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi tlu, Do you have CFTmon.exe active on your machine? As this can cause checksumming issues when using public beta.

Pilli

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Hello Pilli. Yes, cftmon.exe is active. What is the function of that program and how does it affect PG?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

tlu, It is to do with the language function in office applications, you can usually disable it without loss of functionality.

In the latest private betas this issue has been fixed

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Good to know! :)
    Thank you, Pilli.

8. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

How can you do that ?

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi 884126,
    Control Panel - Regional and language options - Languages - Make sure that both Supplemental language support items are unticked unless you need them. Then click Details - Advanced and Turn off advanced text services. Note: the recommendations about East Asian languages.

HTH Pilli

10. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Cool thx very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.