PG error

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by notageek, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

OK I tried to start PG and I get an erro saying make sure PG is install correctly. I try to uninstall PG to reinstall and I get the same error message with a program hang. Anyone know of a fix? Forgot to mention I have PG2.0

2. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi notageek :).

You could try following the directions provided by Gavin in this post.

After successfully uninstalling, you might like to try the latest Process Guard 3 Public BETA 2 if you are a registered user. It is available in the Members area for download.

Regards,
    Jade.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  3. notageek

OK I got it uninstalled but now when I try to reinstall PG2.0 I get an error saying that it can't install the PG driver.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi notageek; What other resident programs do you have running?
    Is it the trial version? If licensed please go to the members area and install Version 3 public beta 2.
    As it sounds like something else is stopping the install.
    Also check that procguard.sys has been removed from windows\system32\drivers before re-installing.

Thanks. Pilli

5. notageek

I closed down all the other programs before trying to install. I'm trialing PG and really can't when I can't get it to work. This is my secondary computer maybe I need to install SSM or AP on it.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK, What is the second PC? OS - CPU etc.

Thanks. Pilli

7. notageek

It's an XP home sp1, 640 MB of ram, 1.70 gig processer (slow).

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK - Try the following

Empty your Process Guard folder,
    Delete pghash.dat and pguard.dat in windows/system32

Providing you feel comfortable working in the registry.
    Start - Run - Type - regedit - press return
    using "find" search for procguard and delete all the keys that you can, two or three if I remember correctly.
    Next search for Process Guard - Delete any keys that are found.

Reboot - Ensure all unnessecary programs are stopped and try to re-install.

BTW Niether SSM or AP will give you the same level of security as Process Guard Version 3 but they are free

HTH Pilli :)

9. notageek

OK I'll try it. I'll let you know how it goes.

SSM won't be free for long from what I heard. But I'm ready to buy a program like PG is I can get it to work right. If not I'm happy with using SSM or AP along with other stuff.

10. notageek

OK I tried to delete all the reg keys I find but there's one I can't delete. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROCGUARD

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Highlight the key in regedit, go Edit/Permissions and give "Everyone" full control of the key. Wait about 20 seconds, and you should be able to delete it.

Nick

Attached Files:

12. notageek

OK I got it deleted and tried to install and run PG and still get the error message saying that I have to make sure PG is install right.

13. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Run a High Jack this scan and remove anything PG. I had a problem and cleaned out everything that I could find. Then someone suggested the HJT scan and I found 2 things ,removed them and everything worked. Give it a try.

14. notageek

Man that's a good idea I didn't run that. I ran everything to see if it was a virus or trojan that's targeting PG but never ran HJT yet thanks for the idea.

OK Ran it and there's nothing for PG there.

15. WilliamP

I had gone into everything and removed anything connected with PG. Some I had to go into Safe Mode. I am glad that I didn't give up. I am really impressed with PG now.

16. Bowserman

Hmmm, so do you get this error message during installation/setup, or after installation?

Regards,
    Jade.

17. WilliamP

NotaGeek go back to page 3 of posts Oct 2 Protection Screen Blank . Its long but it you follow what was suggested to me you are bound to fix it.

18. notageek

Browserman. I get it installed fine but when I click on PG to run it I get the error message. I have never incountered a problem like this that a clean install wouldn't fix. :)

William. I'm going to and look and read and see.

19. Bowserman

Hi again notageek :).

After reading through the thread that WilliamP mentioned and trying anything that is mentioned therein....if you are still unable to get it up and running, I would try doing it in these steps.

After "uninstalling" PG, re-install it, even if it gives the error. Then try going into Safe Mode - please back-up your system beforehand ;).

1) Reboot your operating system into SAFE-MODE. To do this Reboot your machine, and just after your BIOS screen disappears keep pressing the F8 key. A menu should appear, select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.
    2) Run Process Guard's uninstall utility. You can see this from the Start Menu -> Process Guard -> Uninstall.
    3) To verify the removal, make sure procguard.sys does not exist in (c:\windows\system32\drivers) directory, and that procguard.dll and pguard.dat/pghash.dat are not in your system32 directory (c:\windows\system32). If they still exist delete them.

Delete the Process Guard folder from C:\Program Files

While still in SAFE MODE, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems using REGEDIT. Expand the key and there should be a Process Guard entry...delete it (only delete the Process Guard entry...not the Diamond Computer Systems one).

Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services . Look through it and if you find any PG entries (like procguard etc - I can't remember which entry is there for PG 2), delete them.

Now highlight My Computer in REGEDIT. Select EDIT> FIND and do a search for procguard and delete any keys that you find. Then do a search for Process Guard and delete any keys that are found.

Now reboot :).

You should now be able to install it properly (just make sure that any other programs are shut down before trying to install again).

I sincerely hope that it will work for you now.

Best regards,
    Jade.

20. notageek

Thanks jade. You know what I got it fixed just seconds before I got an email saying someone replied to this post. I was on my way ovr to tell everyone I got it fixed. The funny thing is that I went into dafe mode and ran my regedit and delete every pg thing I found and I also dleted the diamond folder that showed in my regedit and reinstalled it from Safemode and rebooted to normal mode and bam it worked.

21. Bowserman

Phew!...good stuff notageek :D....glad you got it sorted out :cool: .

If you find the free version of Process Guard 2 good, then you'll love Process Guard 3 when the final is released. There will also be a free version for Process Guard 3 in case you were wondering ;).

Best regards,
    Jade.

22. notageek

Thanks. When PG 3 comes out I'm going to try it and if it's good and I like I will buy it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.