PG doesn't let me terminate a application

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Antarctica, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I am using Firefox and it happend twice lately that the application froze while surfing. I tried to terminate the application with taskmgr.exe but it was blocked by PG.

Yet PG is set in the Protection to "Authorize this application (tskmgr.exe) to terminate protected application".

Any idea why this is happening?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Antarctica,

Is the spelling correct for those two apps? I have a taskmgr.exe on my XP system, but not a tskmgr.exe.

Nick

3. Antarctica

Yeah, you are right, my mistake. :oops:

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Antarctica, Please make sure that you have the correct taskmanager listed in ProcessGuard, it should be \windows\system32\taskmgr.exe.
    The reason that I say this is because there is also a taskman.exe in the main windows folder, so it can easily be confusing. :)

Pilli

5. Antarctica

Hi Pilli,
    Thank you for your answer. I just double checked and it is the right taskmanager listed in PG.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

That's strange:( I have just fired up firefox and terminated it with TM with no problems both are my the protection list with firefox protected from termination and TM given the terminate attribute.
    Antarctica do you have another task manager like Process Explorer that you could try? Give it the terminate flag and then kill Firefox.

Another thought, remove firefox.exe from your protection list and check that TM can terminate it, if successful then re-add firefoxand try again.

Cheers. Pilli

7. Antarctica

Hi Pilli,
    You were right again. I tried to kill Firefox, no way. Then I removed it from the protection list, TM could terminate it no problem. I then re-add Firefox, try again and this time TM could terminate it. Now, this is strange...

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Probably a path change to the firefox .exe or maybe an updated .exe that was not added to the prot list i.e an old version.
    Check your program folders for more than one instance of FF :)

Glad I could help. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.