PG Crashing

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Rainwalker, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello all.....i have been having a couple of problems with PG. I hope that this question has not been answered. I am running with Block EndTask ect. disabled as i want to be able to use EndTask to close programs for all the obvious reasons, however i am still unable to close PG protected programs with EndTask. When i try to double click on the process running, as listed in PG, in order to locate the location of the EndTask program so that i can allow it to end other programs ( maybe i should not be allowing that ), PG crashes :doubt:

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rainwalker, I am not sure if I fully understand your problem.
    If the end task programme does not have the terminate allow then it cannot kill a listed prgramme. To allow it it to kill a listed programme it must be listed and have it's Terminate allow enabled.
    Here is an instance, I have the General End task option disabled.
    Cryptosuite has the first four Blocks shown as enabled when it is highlighted in the list.
    I try to Kill CryptoSuite with Port Explorer and I get the pop up "could not end the process" That is because the default blocks for CryptoSuite are stopping it. ie. PE's terminate in this case. If I give PE the terminate allow it will kill CryptoSuite.
    Close message handling is another method of closing programmes as found in Advanced Process Termination : http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products
    The first six termination of APT K 1- K6 methods are stopped by default when programmes are listed in the protection list Process Guard

K7 Kill Method #7 - Terminates the process by sending Close messages (called WM_CLOSE) to all windows in the target process. This method only works if 1) the target process has at least one window, and 2) the target process doesn't handle the WM_CLOSE message (most programs usually don't).

This is the method that is stopped by the General End Task option providing you enable the "Close Message Handling" option when an item is selected in the process list.

Not sure if I have answered your question adequately, please feel free to clarify if I have missed your points. :)

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Rainwalker

Why do you double click it in the protected window? because what you are doing is trying to start the program within Process Guard, if you look in the Event Viewer Application Log you should have a report.

That is why it is crashing [The Double Click] if Block End Task was Enabled it would not crash but give you an alert as to you are trying to do and if you allow it would still not start the App but you would still have the event log.

It you understand what I mean.

Is this of any help.
    TheQuest :cool:

4. TheQuest

Hi, Pilli

Been typing for 20min's. [ha My Hands :'(] :D]

There you type a white paper and still post before me.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I
    only use one digit on each hand for typing, you must be using your toes & a mirror :p

6. TheQuest

Hi, Pilli

:D

You do not know how close you are see my profile. :D

Edit:- doe's not explains it there but you might guess.

7. Rainwalker

Hi Pilli
    'If the end task programme does not have the terminate allow then it cannot kill a listed prgramme'..........understood but i can not find it to add to protected prog list :oops:

Hi TheQuest
    'Why do you double click it in the protected window?' ...........i read somewhere, i think, that if we double click on a protected program in the PG window , that the properties can be seen. Now, on some of the programs this works fine but on some PG crashes. The reason i am looking for properties is that i am trying to locate Task Manager so it can be given termination rights :doubt: Maybe it is not there.....in the defaults

8. TheQuest

Hi, Rainwalker

Just Made this for you shows you the path taskmgr.exe

Hope you find it of some help.

Attached Files:

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

There is some known issues with double clicking on an application to bring up the properties. For some people it crashes after you then click on the GUi afterwards, for some people it is fine. It will be looked at for the next version.

I don't see why you need to look at the properties to determine where the file is, especially since the PATH and FILENAME are already in the PG lists?

-Jason-

10. Rainwalker

TheQuest thanks that took care of it ;)

Hi Jason the path and file name were not part of my default protection list.......if that is what you meant :doubt: :doubt:

11. TheQuest

Hi, Rainwalker

Glad I was of some help to you, ask anything anytime as I am always playing with DCS's Magic products to see what they do it so much fun.

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Rainwalker, Any .exe that is executed is shown in the Process Guard log.
    For instance I do not have notepad.exe in my protected list for this example:

5 Apr 10:20:15 - [EXECUTION] c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe with commandline "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe" was ALLOWED to run.

The path is clearly identified should you wish to add it :)

Regarding clicking the listed programmes for their properties - I have not experienced any crashes but I am wondering if it could be to do with whether one has single click enabled rather than the default double click within the Windows settings - Just a thought :)

HTH Pilli

13. Rainwalker

Hi Pilli ok .... i was looking for taskmgr in the list but i should have exuceted it in order for it to have shown up..... :p Thanks for that and yes, i do use single click...

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am glad you have it now RainWalker :)
    Jason may be interested in the one click verses two - something for him to check :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.