PG compatibility issue with FILEMON

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by bluekey23, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

Hello,
    I occasionally use a couple of programs from sysinternals: FILEMON and REGMON. Both of these evidently have to instlall a driver in order to run each time. When I try to open up FILEMON, I see
    "Failed to create key"
    After experimenting a little, I discovered that both FILEMON and REGMON would run if I uncheded block drivers and services in PG. So, in options for both of these programs I checked allow drivers and services and then went back and checked block drivers and services in the global protection menu. This took care of the problem for REGMON, but FILEMON still won't run(unless I uncheck block drivers/services in the global menu). Can anyone help solve this problem?
    Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Bluekey23,
    I believe a couple of the beta testers run filemon and regmon, hopefully they can impart the settings thay use.
    Anyway, after you have enabled Process Guard General Block Drivers & services and enabled Allow drivers and services for the individual files you may have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

HTH Pilli

3. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi bluekey23...welcome to Wilders :).

I have these settings in Process Guard for Filemon, and it works just fine...try the settings and see if it works ;):

Regards,
    Jade.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also am running with filemon with the same settings as Bowserman. Something else that may effect it is I also had to give services.exe the option to install services and drivers. I had to do this for AOL to be able to connect, but it might be necessary for filmon also.

Try that and see if it helps.

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Why would you have to reboot after changing Process Guard settings like that? You don't.

Bluekey23: Filemon (and some other utilities) were an issue with a prior version of Process Guard. The problem is thought to have been resolved. I'm the one who reported the issue originally (I think I am anyway), and it has been solved for me in any event.

Make sure you are running the latest versions of Process Guard and Filemon. You don't say what versions you are running, nor even what OS you have, so it's kind of hard to be more specific than that.

6. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

To All,
    Thanks for your helpful advice. Peter's settings worked for me, and FILEMON(latest release) is now able to run.

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Services.exe does need driver/service install privs under some circumstances, but if services.exe had needed it, there would have been a log entry for it. But whatever--it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.