PG Beta 3, Protection does not disable?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

When I disable Protection using Process Guard and click on Apply Changes, it does not appear that Protection is disabled. The PG icon remains RED in the systray instead of changing to grey with a X through it. If I close Process Guard and then restart Process Guard, the systray icon is still RED which indicates Protection is still enabled.

PG 3.0 Beta, Windows XP-SP2

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Another glitch until the final is released I'm afraid. Thanks for pointing it out.

3. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

AFAIU what you mention refers only to the indication of whether protection is disabled or not, not to whether it actually is disabled. So the fix would be another tray icon and not a patching of the disabling itself.

If you do mean it the other way round, tho (no way to really disable protection), please again say so.
    TIA,
    Andreas

4. donsan

donsan Registered Member

so how do you disable pg 3.0 to upgrade to a newer program when it come's out i think it would be impossible to uninstall if it is still running.

5. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

donsan, as things stand now, you are able to de-activate PG (by just checking "disable protection" and clicking "apply changes"). The thing is only that the interface won't reflect that changed state. Which is something easy to fix for the final release.
    ...unless siliconman or someone else states that is indeed impossible to deactivate protection (then you could still "manually" uninstall it from a boot into safe mode).

HTHH,
    Andreas

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

You can test disabled protection by running FileMon. Filemon fails to run with protection enabled (assuming it is not in the protection list with Install Drivers/Services allowed) and runs with protection disabled.

Nick

7. donsan

donsan Registered Member

thank you all for the info. i found i was able to uninstall the program by unticking all protection then went to task mgr. and shut down pg from there i uninstalled the program then reinstalled with no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.