PG 2.0/Close Message Handling

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Close Message Handling seems to be erratic to non-functional. For example, I have it selected for ProcessGuard and for Port Explorer. It did not work to issue the HID for ProcessGuard for many attempts. Then all of a sudden it has started working. I cannot get it to work Port Explorer UNLESS I first open one of the utilities such as WHOIS, get an HID on WHOIS, and then close WHOIS. Then trying to close Port Explorer by clicking on the upper right X will issue an HID and it will stay active.

I did remove CMH and then re-select it to see if that made any difference. It did not.

Am I missing something here on Close Message Handling? :eek:

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The beta testers also experienced some randomness in CMH, it will be addressed soon.

It also works 100% on the DiamondCS test machines, so I would say it would work fine on some machines, but not all.

-Jason-

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi siliconman01, Remeember that you have to re-enable General Protection - "Block End Task" for it to work, also I found a reboot usually helps + usinfg APT K7 then it appears to work ok on normal Exit or X. :)

4. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Thanks for the comeback.

I have all the General Protection Options selected as active and have tried rebooting. Same erraticism on my mochine...... Windows XP-SP1 Home with lots of DRAM, 2.6 ghz Pentium IV.

Will wait for further improvements and/or suggestions.

Thanks again!

This "puppy" is really NICE!

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again siliconman01, It may also depend on which type of programme it is - See Jason's release notes :)
    Also I noticed during beta testing thet if you start a CMH enabled program sometimes it can take a few minutes for CMH to kick in, Jason is very aware of the problems that some of us have experienced.

Another thing to remember is that with the MD5 protection enabled it would be very difficult for another programme to run without the users knowledge, therefore reducing the risks considerably of malware being able to close down any other programme ie. It has to run first.

6. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi all!
    I also notice that if you try to exit a CMH protected program, and click on the cancel tab twice the CMH window dissapears and so does the APP!!! :blink:

That that would have been fixed by now, unless it is just my machine!!!!!!! :)

CU
    Jazzie

7. Jazzie1

Now that I really had time to play with the program, I come to realize that there are a lot of issues with PG. One big one to me, is that I have Outpost.exe protected with CMH and I launch Trillian and the firewall pops up and ask's if I want to allow the connection, then PG, kicks in and ask's if I want to close Agnitum!!! *puppy*

Oh well, maybe better luck with the consortium of beta testers...

Here again it is my PC!!! :)

CU
    Jazzie

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jazzie, If Outpost is giving you an HID when a poup up for Ask etc occurs just click allow to clear it or cancel. This could be a problem if you make an app ask for every connection and do not create a specific rule for it.
    Do you have Trillian in your protected list?

9. Jazzie1

Hi Phill, yes I have Trillian in the PG list. I also have most of my rules in Outpost set , except the last rule to connect dirctly to the MSN or Yahoo servers, for safety reasons. Now I notice if I re-boot sometimes I won't get that when the firewall window pops-up, but on other times I do. So that is definitely strange. Even if I don't have rules for certaint apps in Agnitum, it should not be asking me to close Agnitum, when I get a yes/no situation, because that is not the case in hand. Then again, the issue with canceling and or accepting is the same for the HID, becsaue it gives the same effect regardless. Which to me, is not right!

Thnx for your efforts,
    Jazzie

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again Jazzie, I can see that this could be a problem for some. Part of the problem with CMH is wheher it actually loads with the application every time and this Jason is addressing.
    As a work around you could enable Outpost 2's Password protection and disable Close Message Handling until Jason has fixed the problem. At least this way you would be asked if something tried to close OP. Also remember that no new application can run without your knowledge due to the the MD5 verification and that no .dll injection can occur for protected list programmes if using the default allows.

11. Jazzie1

HI again Phill, yeah, I disabled that aspect totally after my last posting. Will wait untill a fix or another release...

Regards,
    Jazzie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.