Pfishing - can u tell when??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Peaches4U, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Pfishing is a weird word used to describe cleverly created phony emails intended to "hook" victims and induce them to provide sensitive private information that can be used to defraud the hooked person.

Do you know how to tell a fraud from a genuine email?

The page at the link below shows you copies of 10 possible frauds that are copies of actual legitimate and fraudulent emails.

Check them over for yourself and see how good you are. The answer sheet provides clues for identifying fakes. (I made two mistakes).

The site is selling software, I cannot comment on the quality of their products and my use of the link should not be construed to be an endorsement of their products.

I do think, however, they are providing good material for self education.

http://survey.mailfrontier.com/survey/quiztest.html

2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Thanks for the link, Peaches! I did better than I thought I would, but, the ads are sooo close to the real ones, most people wouldn't hesitate!

I also heard that already there are phishing e-mails for the Tsunami charities, a real low down shame!!

A good site to familiarize your loved ones and friends with, just for the learning experience alone, like Peaches says.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Attached Files:

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I recently recieved such an email. The message was supposdely from HSBC asking for me to make sure they had my correct details. I just deleted the message, the give away was that there were no HSBC logo's in the message and the link was very suspicious.

However, I also use the FireFox plugin which Blackspear mentioned above and its a very usefull tool.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.