Performance issue on Windows Server 2003 R2

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kalbakk, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalbakk

kalbakk Registered Member

Hello

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 installation(EAVB 4.0.437) with some shared folders. We have major performance problems while accessing the shared folders on the server. The client computers will spend about 10000ms waiting on file open operations. Disabling NOD32 realtime protection or excluding the folders on the server results in a more normal 500ms wait. We're only working with 70-1400KB size documents.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Install EAVB 4.0.437 on Windows Server 2003 R2 x86
    2. Share a folder from the server
    3. Map the shared folder as a network drive on a client computer running Windows Vista.
    4. Try to open a .xls,.doc, .html og .mht from the network drive on the client computer. This will take 5000-10000ms.
    5. Disable realtime protection on the server and do step #4 again, this time the client computer will only use 500ms to open the document.

Pitfalls during testing: NOD32 cache the scan result, so in order to reproduce the performance degrade it is nescecarry to force a cache invalidation in NOD32. The only way(afaik) to do this is to "Disable antivirus and antivspyware protection" and then re enable it, just disabling the realtime protection module will NOT flush this cache and hence you will not be able to reproduce the performance problem.

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Are these files being served by regular CIFS shares or DFS?

3. kalbakk

We're using regular CIFS without quota or filtering

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Just to be clear, it is only Vista clients exhibiting this behavior and not XP/2000?

Also, the Smart Optimization feature of the real-time scanner is what is caching those scan results. Disable it and you will likely be able to get more consistent performance degradation for troubleshooting.

5. kalbakk

Sorry I have not put any effort on testing this with XP, so I'm not sure.(It's a "Vista only" environment)

Thanks for the tip.

6. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Since v4 is well known to have massive problems on all Windows Server version, that was your mistake.

Remove v4, install 3.0.684, add all of the recommended exclusions, and you should be good to go.

7. illuzn

illuzn Registered Member

Kalbakk, the same problem exists for me in Windows XP using Microsoft Word 2003 SP3.

My recently discovered fix for this has been to disable advanced heuristics on the real-time scanner on the server only(but leave enabled advanced heuristics on file execution).

This leads to normal half second load times for me - I would be interested to see if your results are the same.

EDIT: Scratch that this appears to have been the result of caching of scan results.

8. elessar

elessar Registered Member

I have the same problem. My client PCs are all XP Pro. On my server, I have to uncheck the File Open, File creation and File execution boxes in real-time system protection (or disable this completely) otherwise it takes ages to open anything.

9. Marv Gordon

Marv Gordon Registered Member

I posted this issue here a few months ago....

Eset?

10. elessar

elessar Registered Member

I ended up removing v4 and installing v3 on all my servers and it seems to be working fine. There are definitely issues with v4 on Windows Servers (both 2000 and 2003 in my case).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.