Perfect Disk v12 cripples FD-Preboot [Resolved]

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by jwcca, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

PD installs OK but as soon as a defrag is run, the FD preboot shows an error "RII-01" and the only option is to boot to the last snapshot. You can't select any other snapshot.
    Uninstalling (program only) and re-installing FD does not correct the problem.
    I had to clone a drive that was working to get the correct boot sector (I believe that's what was 'damaged').
    I cloned another copy from the good drive and repeated the sequence, rebooting at each step until I found that it was the defrag.
    Raxco sold FD but dropped it several years ago. They continued to make it "FD-ISR aware" until v11. It appears that's no longer the case with v12.
    I've used drive cloning instead of imaging so I don't know if restoring an image would restore FD preboot functionality.

PD v12 is just now available for use so hopefully some FD folks will see this warning and make sure that they have a backup image (or clone).

JWC

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Re: Perfect Disk v12 cripples FD-Preboot

I'll confirm that. PD12 broke my FD-ISR in beta and I haven't managed to get it fixed yet, even after completely uninstalling PD12 and then uninstalling and reinstalling FD-ISR. I get copy engine errors when trying to restore an FD-ISR archive, whether the archive is new or one made before embarking on PD12 beta.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for posting JW.

Please let us know any developments.

5. samy

samy Registered Member

Stapp

the issue of Defragmentation has been the subject in many threads in this forum
    (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=290690)

I've tried PD 10 and found it compatible with FD and since then have not upgraded it.
    I'm using defrag on-demand only and approx. once every four months or when necessary (when analysis is showing the partition needs a defrag or before resizing a partition)
    have never had a problem

6. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Croft, if you don't have an imaging app or a good disk to clone you can always:
    1) fresh install of windows
    2) optional for W7 and Vista: run the bootsect_x86 or x64
    3) install Fd
    4) restore an archive without PD12.

Looking for a great imaging app? Peter 2150 pointed me to Shadow Protect and Storage Craft gave me a 30 day FULL trial and it's a keeper. I backed up a working image, installed PD12 which trashed FD and restored the working image and FD's working 100%

I'm about to buy SP after I finish updating all the forums and sending a load of stuff to Raxco. (I have a ticket with Raxco about this issue). I've installed PD12 in a clean system with FD working a total of 3 times now and it's trashed FD every time, even by just running the analysis, not even the defrag. Using an app from MS, StorageInspector to get copies of the boot sector from a PD11 and a PD12 state and comparing them with WinMerge, it's easy to see that PD12 massively altered the boot record/sectors 0-63.

Good luck,

Jim

7. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Tarnak,

The reason for posting was to warn anyone with FD and Perfect Disk NOT to install PD12 until Raxco issues a fix.

A discussion of whether to defrag (or not to defrag) using any defragger was totally outside the purpose of this thread. ;)

Jim

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hi Jim,

Point taken. :)

9. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Re: Perfect Disk v12 cripples FD-Preboot - Resolved

Good news, Raxco has been able to reproduce the problem and will issue a 'fix' within a few days.

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I received the following reply from Raxco today. No fix but there is a work around:

"It appears there is an unforeseen compatibility issue between OptiWrite in PerfectDisk 12 and FDISR. Because FDISR is a retired product, it is unlikely that a patch will be released to resolve this issue.

To prevent this issue from occurring in the future, you need to turn OptiWrite off when installing PD12.

To get your snapshots back, you'll need to export them first - then uninstall / reinstall FDISR. Once reinstalled, you can import them.

You will need to keep OptiWrite turned off, else the issue will be reproduced.

Thank you,

Raxco Software, Inc."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.